B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear
Default paint

so im thinking of painting my car for the fact that i cant stand looking at a brown car anymore and wondering what color i should paint it and if anyone know a super cheap place to go cause im leaving for college in like 4 months but want my car to look good when i leave and is a decent maaco job any good??

Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: paint

no idea about where to go butI'd stay away from maaco (I've heard bad stories), I would haveit resprayed in a dark blue (santorin?) or maybe like BMW Carbon Black. I mean, the question is, do you want to stand out? because them you have a lot of options. Lets look at this, you don't want brown, so you are looking at a totally new color, I'd make it something you really like.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

yeah i understand the whole maaco thing but i really only care about the next 4 months before i leave for college then its my dads problem but its not about standing out just something nice i like the whole dark gray but id want to get my rims done black then cause in my opinion it would look weird but what would be a decent price on paint cause im not lookin to spend almost any cause if its to much id rather live with the brown for another 4 months

Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
4th Gear

I'd say if you've only got to look at it for another four months, that's not going to be worth the bother of repainting the entire car just because you're tired of the color. Save your money so you can afford booze and coffee at school.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

well i dont do either booze or coffee so im saving money that way and i work a lot and i mean a lot so i have extra money and dont spend it on anything ever im kinda like a jew with spending money but when i actually do spend it i spend alot haha which can be a problem sometimes

Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: MrFlippant

I'd say if you've only got to look at it for another four months, that's not going to be worth the bother of repainting the entire car just because you're tired of the color. Save your money so you can afford booze and coffee at school.

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Yeah, I'd do the same thing, it is pointless to paint your car for 4 months. Also it'll probably close to if not over 1K to do a decent job on the paint. And I totally agree that having that extra spending cash in college is a great thing, it'll really open up the opportunities for you.

(The man posting this is not knowledgeable at all about paint and kinda pulled the above number out of his A$$, so if it is incorrect, the poster is not held responsible for these actions)

Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

well i dont know maaco might just be the easy way for a quick paint job thats low in pricecause i talked to someone i know today who got his truck done and it looks fine so might be easy that way but ill have to get a quote for mine cause its only for 4 months i deal with it cause then its my dads until i come home on that random vacations or weekends

Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

I mean it's your money, do what you want with it, but I would just leave it. you'll find plenty of ways to utilize that cash flow in college (and I'm not talking about alcohol) and if you are not gonna drive it that much and it's now your dad's, don't worry about it.

IF you want to utilize your income in a possibly (not the smartest way) send me a check for 1k and I'll buy a wakeboard with it and then pay rent with the rest.

here are some examples of the random places I've spent money on in College thus far
- Waterski team
- Climbing/mountaineering club
- Ski trip to Holiday Valley
- Ski trip to Aspen
- House Boat trip to Lake Norris
- Security deposit for next year

Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

well im probably not gonna paint thinking about the 4 months i probably should of done it when i first got it but i was looking at the group buys and saw the hids as usual so i checked out vvme again because i have a set already but i was thinking to get them for my foglights in my headlights to make a super blinding hid effect and vvme even lowered their prices so even better i might just go do that

Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear

A bad paint job can show itself in under a month. My buddy just had the driverside of his Subaru resprayed through insurance after an accident and it's already chipping. Plus, going with a whole new color, your engine bay and door jambs will be a different color, and it's up to you if you want to spend the extra cash to deal with those, or leave em.

Quick Reply: paint