B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

PaintScratch.com.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear
Default PaintScratch.com.....

Has anyone used this site for matching original paint?

I am wanting to paint my front and rear Audi rings body color (pearl white pearlescent) and didn't want the hassle of having to find the paint somewhere else. I haven't really seen my paint on any Audi's in my area so I feel that it wasn't a very popular or rare color.

suggestions?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Sometimes dealerships stock paint, might be worth a call.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM
5th Gear

they are reputable. also if the paint doesn't match, they do returns. make sure you get good paint

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

ive used them before. they only do returns though if its their fault the paint doesnt match, like its mixed wrong or something. if your paint is faded and what they send you doesnt match it, they wont accept it back i think. i got some briliant black from them before which is hard to match and it was spot on.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

If I am not mistaken, isnt the pearl white a tri-coat paint job. I wanted to get the trunk lip spoiler for mine but was afraid of how much it would cost to paint.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

For my 2002 A6 the white pearl is called Magnolia Pearl and the paint code is LOB9. There is a coresponding color code- LOB9/D4 which I suspect is the A4 code, but same paint. Since yours is older I am not positive these codes will work for you. That said, Pearl White is THE hardest paint to match so don't expect perfection. Since this color changes hue from different angles usually you can live with it if you get close. Bumper covers never match the metal body parts because of the flex agent additive needed for the paint to adhere. This is a three part paint and you need a very knowledgable pro to have a chance of matching, and even then it is a crap shoot. Another site you might check out isautomotivetouchup.com- I cannot tell you if they are good or not. Most companies put a note on this paint that they are not responsible for failed matches in color. Good Luck

Old 08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the advice. Like I said, I'm really only looking to paint my Audi rings so as long as it's close I'll be happy. I have decided against painting my lowers, at $49.90 a spray can, this stuff comes in a little on the pricey side. That and after 13 years of weathered paint it would be impossible to match.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

I have had both pearl white (magnolia tri-coat) and Casablanca white B5 A4's and done minor paint on both of them. For the Casablanca A4 I tried using paintscratch.com and all I got was hastles from them. the paint can didnt have an agitator ball, and wasn't even close to matching. It took me sending them pictures and numerous calls & emails to convince them that there actually was no agitator ball in the can and the color was way off. Finally they sent me the "free" replacement can (you pay another $10 for shipping for their mistake) and it didn't match either. My paint experience/advice with pearl white is dont even bother trying you'll just do more damage than good. I understand you are just looking to paint your rings so it may work out better for you, but I was doing some clearcoat work on a door that had been swiped, and thats where you really do find out that it is a true Tri-coat. if you sand too much clear away you'll end up in one of the white base coats and thats when it ends up looking like hell. In the end I ended up replacing the door I was working on with one off of another pearl A4. Anyways, good luck if you decide to do it, but I wouldn't try much beyond painting the rings and I dont know if I'd use paintscratch.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM
4th Gear

where can u find your paint color code number thing? i have a 96 2.8 and its black... but i wanna get it repainted either that color or the s4 yellow... where can i find the codes?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

paint matches to your VIN if thats the original paint on the car

Quick Reply: PaintScratch.com.....