B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Passing Emissions with P0411

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default Passing Emissions with P0411

I have been getting the P0411 code for months now and went to get my emissions and passed it all except for the fact that I had this code. I don't have time to clear the code and run around for a few days hoping it doesn't come back on and waiting for the readiness to all pass. I saw on vortex that you can manually run the readiness tests but I don't know which blocks to run the tests on for my 01 1.8t AWM. Does anyone with a Bentley know which blocks I need to run?

for reference: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1904536

Old 08-14-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

If I were you I would just disconnect the battery before you go for the test. That will temporarily clear the code and you should pass.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

Except that clears the readiness status too

Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear

I have the same code too (secondary air injection incorrect flow detected). This code is also causing another code, forgot the numbers, but the bank 1 sensor 1 is reading rich due to this problem. I have a scan tool and every time I clear the code, the cel comes back after about the second day. The problem is either a bad air pump, or a bad air line somewhere that I can't find.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:43 AM
5th Gear

the things those block numbers call for are mostly for the full vag com version. vag com has a tool where you can view 3 different blocks at the same so you can see which ones are the right ones. i'm kinda of having the same problem as you but i also have bad cats. i cleared my codes and everything came back in 20 miles of city driving. the first time i cleared those codes, i drove 70 highway miles and nothing came but but i was still missing 2 readiness statuses. our cars adapt pretty quickly. just keep checking when driving around.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear

Everyone with this problem: Replace the relay. Problem solved. Worked for me and 3 other local guys, most likely will work for you as well. The stock relay for the secondary air pump is poor quality and tends to start sticking after time. Replace it with a good Bosch relay and it should fix your problem. If not, check the pump. Its much easier to ask the right questions and fix it rather than try to find some way to clear the code long enough to pass emissions.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

Ok so which relay is this? I went out this morning and made sure the pump turns on during a cold start and i heard/felt it running. I disconnected the vac line running to the EGR and I didnt feel any vaccum so I'm guessing the little solenoid under the intake manifold is malfunctioning. Is that the relay your talking about?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure of the fine mechanics of it, but the relay is an electrical bit. In the ECU box, the big black box in the engine bay on the drivers side, in there is the ECU (who thought?) and the relay for the SAP. Its a little gray cube about 1 inch per side, just pull that out, go to Autozone and ask them for a new one and plug it back in. Like I said, I'm not sure about the fine mechanics of it so I don't know if the relay directly affects whether or not the vac line gets suction, but it's a good place to start.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:35 PM
2nd Gear

I went to advance auto and they didn't have any 4 prong with the same pinout. Im going to check with Olympus on Monday and see if they have any.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear

If Olympus doesn't have one, try ECS or Purems. I know the link for ECS is based on a search for my engine, but you get the gist Relays are pretty much the same anyway so it doesn't matter much. Good luck

Quick Reply: Passing Emissions with P0411