B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Program Keys: $120? Are they nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default Program Keys: $120? Are they nuts?

I have 2 new keys (that, according to the previous owner, already cost a fortune to buy).
My local Audi dealer now informs that they are charging $120 to program them (that's equal to 1.5 hours of labor!).
They must be nuts.

What alternatives are there?
Who else can program those keys, and what do they need to do the job (I only have one original key!)

What are your local Audi thieves charging?

vtraudt
in Brighton, MI (between Lansing, Detroit, Ann Arbor)

Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Program Keys: $120? Are they nuts?

The following instructions are to reprogram your switchblade key fob.

1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and lock the car with a second key.

3. With your second key fob press the unlock button. The lights should flash.

4. Now lock the car with the key fob, and then unlock it.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function

Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Will that work for Volkswagen too? We only have one flip key for our W8, which my wife has, and I really want one for myself.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM

yeah this is the biggest rip-off the dealer tries to pull. it's so simple and easy, do it yourself.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
4th Gear

That blows; the stealership here "only" charges $50 to program keys or fobs, last I checked.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah, the stealership in NorCal qouted me about the same. Bought the blanks on eBay, had them cut locally and did the DIY on-off sequence. Worked like a charm. Only hitch is to be sure that the keys have virgin security chips inside so that they can be adapted to your car.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Wow! If hat works (the keys are according to the previous owner "fresh" all new (a ton of money paid to the dealer for them he said), I will be ahead. Either way: I am not paying $120 to the Audi stealers in Farmington or Ann Arbor.

Great tip.

Thanks.

Volker

Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

when i got my second key, audi said they were unable to prgm both keys to be remote at the same time. the guy was teh "head electronics guy"and he said he had never seen it before, but it was most likely there's something wrong with my comp. how close was he? so now i have 1 key (the new one) that unlocks remotely and 1 that only works in the lock itself. it doesn't bother me at all, i'm just curious.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CRAZYHAWK

The following instructions are to reprogram your switchblade key fob.

1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and lock the car with a second key.

3. With your second key fob press the unlock button. The lights should flash.

4. Now lock the car with the key fob, and then unlock it.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function

+1

this works for me last year

Old 07-11-2008, 05:05 PM

Plectrum,

The "head" electronics guy was giving you a line. B5's should be able to handle up to four Switchblade remotes with no issues. Likely that the computer already has four programmed in it (one is the key you have that works), and needs the memory to be cleared of all four, and then both of your keys can be added via the method noted earlier in this post.
[*]It is possible to clear all memory positions, e.g. if a customer loses a remote transmitter. Proceed as follows:[*]Switch ignition on using key.[*]Then mechanically lock central locking from outside vehicle using key.[*]Activate remote transmitter "unlock" button on key five times at one second intervals. A short horn signal will sound each time.[*]Then, after 6 seconds, press remote transmitter "unlock" button to confirm this clearing procedure one more time.[*]Memory is now erased, central locking should no longer unlock itself via remote transmitter.[*]Switch ignition off.[*]Up to four transmitters can now be coded again.

Quick Reply: Program Keys: $120? Are they nuts?