B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

prolly a dumb question/exsisting performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Default prolly a dumb question/exsisting performance

long story short i bought a 00 a4 with a garrett gt30 turbo on it about 2 years ago and it looked like some parts were there at one time(performance parts), the garret turbo blew when somehow the oil line got pinched, i have down graded a little to the gt2871r, but i wanna know is there any easy way to find out if rods were done by the first owner. i really don't want to get into terring down the motor to find out, either way it is prolly not going to be easy. im not the greates mechanic, i love taking things apart but im not very good at putting them back together.

side note: fu***** revo is taking so long to make a stage 3 program for my car, they agreed to make it right before waterfest and at that point the said 1 to 3 weeks, not so bad for a brand new program, it is now sept. 15 and still no answer, from what i got from the place that has my car is that the u.s based hq for revo didn't want to make it so the main hq in europe said ok and still nothing, i havent seen or drove my car since early july, and on top of that everything is paid for. any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Theres no easy way to get to th rods to check them out. The pistons cover the top of them and the head is on top of that. YOu have to do everything from the bottom and its not an easy/fast process. CHances are if it had a gt30 the rods were probably done otherwise you would have bent a rod by now if you drove it th way it should have been driven with that turbo. You pretty mucgh definently need rods for the gt30 but you can probably get by without rods for the gt28

Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM

yeah cause when i first bought it i bought it because i liked theway it looked i really didn't understand the size of the tubo at that time, the day after i got it i got a boost controller and cranked it to 15 and it ran fine until the oil line somehow was pinched. ive read a little about taking the oil pan off, would i be able to see then. i really don't havethe money to spend to take it totally apart to find out.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

the oil pan on our car is an absolute b#$^* but you should be able to see the rods if you can remove it. how much lbs are you pushin with the gt28?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM

was 21.5 with meth but that was without a tune, now it is sittin waitin for revo to make a tune

Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear

yea you can probably see the rods if you can get the oil pan off, but thats not exactly easy. if the guy before you was running a gt30 with 15psi or less hes an idiot. might have ran such low boost to avoid throwing a rod if he didnt replace them, but theres no point in a turbo that big unless your going for high psi later in the RPM range. the lag you would get for only 15psi is stupid. you can get 15psi off an elim and have it much sooner.

if he was running a gt30 at more then 20psi and your block doesnt have any holes in it, the rods were replaced.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM

damn i wish it was easier to know, i cant afford to tear it apart. i will go and search to se how hard it is to do and make a decision, thanks for the input.

*edit: i searched and i didn't find anything on oil pan removal

Last edited by driftking8732; 09-17-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
4th Gear

Did you have to change exhaust manifolds when you down graded the turbo?

You can pull the oil pan off, just have to support the engine while you lower the sub frame.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM

why don't you get the bt software from unitronic, they already have awesome software for that setup!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM

mike@dth: yes it had a weird longtube manifold which brought the turbo all the way up to the hood and the manifold left no room for a real filter, so ya it is a totally different style manifold.

a4speed: thats what i wanted to go with but i had trouble with communication with unitronics and 034 motorsport so i got fed up and went to my local audi place and the use revo, well they looked at my car and said i needed a stage 3 revo tune and they told me it would take 1 to 3 weeks and that was the monday before july 19th, so at that time i said ok and paid 760 for the tune(compared to the 890+shipping for ut bt)
long story short something went wrong with he state side revo company so the oversea company was reached and they were going to do it and now 9/17/2008 there is no word when my car is going to be done

EDIT: for everyone else who has taken there oil pan off and how long did it take. on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being really hard.

Last edited by driftking8732; 09-18-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: prolly a dumb question/exsisting performance