B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Puncture in the oilpan...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Puncture in the oilpan...

I should have never loaned my Audi....

Girlfriend hit something in the road, and it resulted in a punctured oil pan. Luckily she stopped before there was any damage.

My questions, can the oil pan be welded, and what are the pros and cons

How big of a job is it to remove the oil pan

1999 A4 Quattro, 2.8L

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
5th Gear

it's easy to take off the oil pan. just lift up the front end and take out all the bolts you see on the pan. then, you gotta find yourself a respectable welder who can weld aluminum. is the whole huge? if so, you should just save yourself the trouble and get a new one. junkyards should have them. there are no drawbacks if the welding is done right. hope you learned your lesson on loaning cars to a female lol. good luck

Old 12-05-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Can you define "lift up the front end"? Are you saying the engine has to be partially pulled?

It is a pretty good size hole, and yes, lesson learned!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 PM
5th Gear

o sry, i meant just jack up the car. if the hole is larger than a nickel forget it and just get a new one

Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by barrylott
I should have never loaned my Audi....

Girlfriend hit something in the road, and it resulted in a punctured oil pan. Luckily she stopped before there was any damage.

My questions, can the oil pan be welded, and what are the pros and cons

How big of a job is it to remove the oil pan

1999 A4 Quattro, 2.8L

Thanks!
It's kind of a btch to do as the subframe gets in the way, but it is certainly possible to do on your back. Replace the pan, don't cheap out and risk poor welds or having your car down forever waiting to get the pan back. Consider replacing the bolts as well.

And we all know you did it... stop blaming your girl!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 PM

hope you learned your lesson on loaning cars to a female lol.

^agreed

Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
It's kind of a btch to do as the subframe gets in the way, but it is certainly possible to do on your back. Replace the pan, don't cheap out and risk poor welds or having your car down forever waiting to get the pan back. Consider replacing the bolts as well.

And we all know you did it... stop blaming your girl!
hes a 2.8 driver, we dont have the subframe issues, he just need to loosen and move the sway bar out of the way to get to some of the bolts. also make sure you get new bolts their strech type and will snap on you if you overtighten. also not sure on teh 30v but if the gaskets messed up and you need to put in a new one (chances are you will) youll also have to take off the oil pick up tube to get the gasket out.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

I actually changed mine not to long ago. I also have a 2.8 30v

IF you dont have access to a lift, just jack up the car and put jack stands on either side.

You have to unscrew the sway bar cause its blocking the back part of the bolts on the oil pan.
Remove just the 4 bolts holding up the bar, the endlinks can stay on but you'll have to slightly flex the bar down to gain access to those bolts. IF you have a flexible 3/8 socket adapter it'll help.

I believe it was 18 or 19 bolts alllllllllll around the pan.
Take them off and the pan will only need a tap to come off.

Clean up around the mounting points and remove any silicone that may still be there from before.
If you can get to an Audi dealership/ parts buy some of their high temperature silicone. I think RTV is good to use also.

Put some around the oil pan and begin to screw the bolts back in. Dont screw them in too much. You want the silicone to dry for a couple minutes. Then continue tightening the bolts in a criss cross pattern.

I would just replace the oil pan. If the hole isnt that big buy some metal epoxy stuff and seal it up. Worked with me when i cracked my pan the first time.

I've heard off people welding their oil pans too.

I ordered mine from these guys
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...Q5fAccessories

Email them first so they can get you the correct one.

Last edited by flyromeo3; 12-06-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
If the hole isnt that big buy some metal epoxy stuff and seal it up.
Boo. Don't do that. It's not worth risking an oil-out.