AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Radio "SAFE" Mode (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/radio-safe-mode-195666/)

power moves 05-20-2013 06:42 PM

Radio "SAFE" Mode

I currently had an issue with my radio going into "Safe" mode and when searching for a answer notice that this is a common occurrence. The "stealership" wanted to charge me $130 to look up the code for me, even though I already had the serial number. Ridiculous. I found an easy remedy without having to leave my house.

You will need:

VIN# and

Radio Serial#

If you are already in possession of the radio serial number (if not you have to pull the head unit, it should be located on the side or top of the unit)all you have to do is call either:

1-800-367-2834 or

1-800-822-2834

Press #3 and then #1.

Both are numbers for Audi of America.

They are very polite helpful and it is FREE!

Good Luck.

SquishyPanda 05-21-2013 05:15 PM

I'm going to have to try this. I've been dreading having to disconnect the battery for any electrical work because my car's previous owner doesn't have the code.

PoormansAudi 05-21-2013 05:46 PM

Also, if your radio has ever been replaced the code will be - 1111

I can't tell you if my radio has ever been replaced but can tell you the code works on mine. :D

Mad Cow 05-21-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by PoormansAudi (Post 1435721)
Also, if your radio has ever been replaced the code will be - 1111

I can't tell you if my radio has ever been replaced but can tell you the code works on mine. :D

Not true, even reman radios have their own unique code.

Is the serial number all you need? This seems way too good to be true.

power moves 05-22-2013 03:11 PM

Serial # and VIN #. The serial # so they can provide you with the code and the VIN # to prove you have ownership of the vehicle

PoormansAudi 05-22-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Cow (Post 1435733)
Not true, even reman radios have their own unique code.

Can you source that opinion?

According to this article it is true. To save the trouble of viewing the link the following is a quote from it.

"Some remanufactured radios are hard coded from the factory with 1111 so you may want to try this code first. "

CCA4 05-23-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by PoormansAudi (Post 1435829)
Can you source that opinion?

According to this article it is true. To save the trouble of viewing the link the following is a quote from it.

"Some remanufactured radios are hard coded from the factory with 1111 so you may want to try this code first. "

That doesn't mean ALL. I've purchased and installed two OEM remanufactured Audi Symphony II radios and neither of them used 1111 as the code. In both cases, the code came printed on a new radio card that was included in the box.

PoormansAudi 05-23-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by CCA4 (Post 1435907)
That doesn't mean ALL. I've purchased and installed two OEM remanufactured Audi Symphony II radios and neither of them used 1111 as the code. In both cases, the code came printed on a new radio card that was included in the box.

Agreed, I have no doubt it doesn't work on ALL, the point of my post was that it's worth a try.

"Some remanufactured radios are hard coded from the factory with 1111 so you may want to try this code first."

Mad Cow 05-23-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by CCA4 (Post 1435907)

Also bought 2 reman radios, a Symphony I and II, both had a unique code. I think it's more common for them to have a unique code than just 1111, maybe radios rebuilt by whoever does it for Audi have a unique code and ones rebuilt by other companies have 1111.

So I guess the phone number is too good to be true, can't exactly get the vin number of a reman radio or one you got from a junkyard or part out. Oh well, I guess this EEPROM programmer I bought won't go to waste at least.

CCA4 05-23-2013 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by PoormansAudi (Post 1435917)
Agreed, I have no doubt it doesn't work on ALL, the point of my post was that it's worth a try.

"Some remanufactured radios are hard coded from the factory with 1111 so you may want to try this code first."

Or you could just take 5 minutes and call AoA and get the right code for free.