B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

replacing the head?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default replacing the head?

so me, being the indecicive(and horrible speller) that i am i really cant decide what to do here. i for anyone that dosent know, i blew the timing in my car and it really effed up the head. after looking at all my options, im gunna be without a car for another week at least which sucks. but the thing i cant decide is if when i do have a car again if i want it to be mine, or a new one. of course like most people on here i love my car and would hate to see it go.

basically how hard would it be to replace the head on my car and do the timing?? the nose is already off cause i was gunna have it repaired by my mechanic which would help a little bit, other then that i would have to do the eniter job. i can easily afford a new head (mabye even one with some goodies in it already) the thing i cant afford is the 15-20 hours labor. i work full time in a body shop with TONS of tools, and both of my bosses know how to replace a head on american cars and they will help me with it on my car.

does this sound like a good idea?? how hard would it be for someone thats never done it before?? and if i replace the head, would i have to worry about the car all the time, or would that pretty much solve the problem(if done correctly) i dont wanna replace the head only to find out it could mess up this and that in the future.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: replacing the head?

If the timing belt broke and bent some valves you most likely did some surface damage to the top of the pistons. So when you do pull the head off make sure to inspect the pistons. Pulling the head on the 1.8t is pretty easy if you have the right tools. Just make sure to get the head bolt tool before you start doing the work.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

thanks. where can i get one? and if i did mess up the top of the pistons, how hard is it to replace them?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

When you take the head off keep every part organized and LABEL EVERY PIECE as to where it came from, when it comes putting it back together it is so much easier. I amnot a mechanic but I have rebuilt at least a dozen engines and Ihave a bad memory(last brain cell). Get all the info from Audi before starting and definitely draw on your bosses experience (a head is a head). When you have thehead off you can assess whether to redo the head or consider finding a good used engine toreplace your damaged engine as that can be sometimes be cheaper than rebuilding what you have. If the pistons are damaged that is bad(money and lotsof it).B.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: 01afour

thanks. where can i get one? and if i did mess up the top of the pistons, how hard is it to replace them?

Head Bolt tool

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Pay the labor to someone who know's how to do the job. Mine took under 6 hours and that was also including swapping cams and other misc stuff.I bought A rebuilt head, new head bolts, water pump, gaskets belts etc... for under $1500.American cars are all pretty much standard and not metric.For all the money you'd spent on tools and the agravation researching. It wouldprobaly take you atleast a couple weekends not knowing what your doing.I've done the job so PM me with any question you have.You're going to spend atleast $2000 with laborthough GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

i already got a quote on the labor, and basically it would mean i have to sell it. like someone esle said a head is a head so it shouldnt b a big deal. i work in a shop and have all the tools but the head bolt tool, so i dont have to worry about that. im gunna look for a used head or a rebuilt one and put it on. and im gunna check the pistons first and make sure there ok.

thanks guys

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Yeah my car bent I think 6 values the pistons had lite marks, But where ok 23,000 miles afterand no issues.How much do you want for the car I mite be intrested PM me.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm make believe

sand out any ruff edges on the pistons and replace any bent valves alone with there guides and lifters. You can remove the head w/o that tool so you can start now, but you will need it to reinstall the head.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear

cool. the cars commin to my shop on monday, so ill get started right away. im prayin the pistons are ok.

when i replace the head i was thinking about putting cams in it. would that be a good idea? or is it kind of useless w/o anything else. cams would really be all i can afford as far as extra goodies.

Quick Reply: replacing the head?