B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replacing rear wheel hub and bearings???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing rear wheel hub and bearings???

I just found out what was causing the chopper sound from the rear when I'm driving. Problem is i need the rear hubs replaced and wheel bearings replaced. Local shop charging me 1100+ for parts + labor. I bought a pair of ruville wheel hubs from aboveallmotorwerks and a kit of wheel bearing from blauparts and all cost me $220+.Question is can i do this myself and leave the pressing to a local machine shop? Is there a DIY link for this job? Thank you.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Well the rear hubs cost 260$ The ruville ones came only for the front. Ouch. So that brings up another question. If i cant get any cheaper Rear wheel hub will i be able to get away with a used one?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 AM

Are you sure you need to replace the rear hubs? Generally it's just the bearings that need to be swapped out.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

That's what the tech said when i had my car checked. He demonstrated it by holding the wheel at 12 o clock and 6 o clock and shook it. There was a lot of movement, and said that's what causing the chopper sound and squeeking sound. Could it be just a bearing? He even said he could save me by just replacing one hub cause the other one isn't as bad yet but definitely needed new bearings for both side. Should i just do the bearings first and see how it plays? Or do them all at the same time since im down there? watcha think? And also is there a DIY link? Thanks.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM

It's usually just the wheel bearing. No sense in replacing the entire hub at this point! If you can manage both rears that would be a good route to take IMO.

Google brought me this:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel45.shtml
It's for a S4 which I imagine has a very similar procedure. Some of the sizes for tools may be slightly off, I'm not sure.

Also:
http://www.audiforum.ca/a4-b5/21988-...placement.html

Last edited by MetalMan; 02-15-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

VERY doubtful the hub needs replaced... DIY the wheel bearing, took me about 2 hrs including driving to get it pressed. I bought mine at NAPA and they press if for you too for free

Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

I wish i did buy mine from napa however already ordered from blauparts so i guess ill just go run around town and find someone to press. Okay i'll do the bearings as soon as the parts gets here and post update. Hopefully its just the bearings cuz the damn hubs are a bit expensive. thanks guys.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

dont listen to anyone else lol. Ive replaced all four of my wheel bearings by myself (awd) and its cheaper and very easy to do. I paid $30-$70 a bearing and had it pressed eaither for free or $20 PM me and ill tell you the steps thru

Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the links metalman. Just exactly what i needed! Now i got the whole arm out with hub and bearing on it. Is there anyway to tell if its just a bearing or hub thats wrong from here? Cuz if i install a new bearing and eventually the hub was bad already then i might have to get new bearings since pressing out the hub from the assembly could damage the bearings as well. Hope I'm making sense lol. Pretty much i wanna save money and time however also wishing that its just a bad bearing lol. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Was the car ever in an accident? Or was that wheel mashed into a curb or anything like that? If not chances are the hub should be just fine. The only other thing that can cause play are bushings.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear wheel hub and bearings???