B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

SAI, PCV, and passing emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default SAI, PCV, and passing emissions

So, anyone here know if i tear out my PCV system, and put a SAI blockoff plate onto my crackcase, if i will be able to still pass emissions?
This is assuming i put a catch-can on, but i will be venting the crankcase blow-by gas to atmosphere.
But i DO NOT want to have to put the whole fing system back in if i need to take an emissions test.
(for those that dont know, the PCV system recycles semi-burnt hydrocarbons and oil back into your engine - this is a major contributing factor to engine failure - but it makes Greenpeace happy.)

Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear

So you're taking it all off to increase engine longevity and reliability? I'd assume (I have no real knowledge about this) that if you got some software that sets the emmisions tests to pass permanently you'd pass the computer test, but I'd be wary of rolling emissions.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

Not sure about PCV, but you can get the SAI stuff tuned out by Unitronics on a 2001. But it seems you're already chipped, so you might be sorta SOL there.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

you will not pass unless you get the codes tuned out. removing the SAI will throw a CEL and you will not pass readiness.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

it depends on your location, I have no SAI, a highflow cat, and a CEL and I passed.
I am in ontario, all I get is an 2 step idle test no ecu scans. They only noted it on the emissions paper that I had a CEL, I still passed and got my sticker.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Alright, so i am in Colorado, and the only test they run is a tailpipe pollutant test - no computer test, no engine compartment air test.
Here's the link.
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/im240tst.htm

From what i understand, if you put on a SAI blockoff plate, and remove the PCV system - you then run a catch-can for the oil, and a breather for the crankcase. As far as i can tell, that would not alter the pollutants being seen at the tailpipe at all. True?

Edit: my APR tune also allows me to clear CELs. And apparently the CEL for the SAI/PCV comes on every 4-5 key cycles. So i shouldnt have to worry about CELs when i do emissions.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear

go for it as is, I mean an emission test costs $35 here. you fail, its only $35. if you pass then great.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

Hey Teeter, I've got a question for you. I just recently installed a testpipe. Now it was a pain in the *** to get in, so I'd like to try an go thru emissions without swapping the stock cat back in. Here in my town, they dont have the equipment to do AWD rolling emissions. I do know they do ECU scans, but I have no CEL and used the o2 spacers. It smells like no cat, and thats the only thing I worry about. If I go thru emissions and they find I have no cat, will they fine me? I've only owned the car for 5-6 months, could I feign ignorance and blame the previous owner or would they track him down as well?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear

That's pretty disrespectful of other drivers on the road, man. We don't make you smell our catless exhaust.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

And on the road, at a speed of anything over 5mph, you cant smell me. Hell, you cant smell me if you stood in front of my car at a light and I held 3k on the tach. But a emissions tech walking around my car will probably notice something.

Besides, this is what cars are supposed to smell like, unburnt fuel. Ever been to a muscle car meet? mmmm... smells like heaven.

Quick Reply: SAI, PCV, and passing emissions