B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Seeking advice on moving back toward stock suspension feel.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Smile Seeking advice on moving back toward stock suspension feel.

Hi All.

My first post here

I've had my 98 A4 2.8 QT sport since 2000. When I bought it I immediately put on H&R sport springs and Bilstein shocks. They lowered it a lot -- too much really, as I have gone through 2 of those expensive plastic engine compartment covers (running without now) and have torn off my bumper partly backing up from a tall parking stop a few times. In the winter I've practically high-centered in just a little snow on the road. Also the ride has gotten very rough and I'm getting tired of it (btw, stock tires/rims). I know some of my other suspension bits need replacement and would like to do everything at the same time.

So I'd like to find a new shock/spring combo that will bring me back closer to stock. I like the badass look of my A4 but at this point I'd trade it for a nicer ride. I don't drive many miles a year (maybe 6K) as I live in a smallish city.

Hope I provided enough background here, and would appreciate any advice. Oh and I don't want to spend big $$$

Cheers all,

Brian

Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear

well if you like what you have now look up v-maxx coil overs there like $500 and you adjust things how you want =] high or low

Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

I'm running the same exact setup as you, H&R sports/Bilstein shocks on stock 16" wheels and have no issues with parking or it being low enough to go though 2 lower covers. I'd say this setup is as tame as one could go without using stock sport suspension or an S4 setup.

how have you gone through 2 lower covers may I ask? the parking issue is easily fixed, don't pull up all the way. That would have saved the bumper.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

s4 springs will make it stock with a little more sportiness

Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
5th Gear

dibs on your current setup. either get coilovers or S4 suspension is the closest comparison to your current setup without lowering your car much. you'll be about .5" lower. also look into deisel geek panzer pans. it's a heavy duty metal version of the plastic one

Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear

OP did you have the sport (red) springs stock? I ask because I have the exact same setup you have now and the Sport springs rode great and didn't sit much higher.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear

Stock or sport springs, Koni shocks on full (or near full) soft.

Personally, I liked the rough, bone-jarring feel of race suspensions. Then I got my G8, which would thrash my A4 in basically any way except in bad weather (it wouldn't even be CLOSE), and yet it rides REALLY nicely, and it's just amazing how much better things are.

Last edited by dragonrage; 11-10-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator

I would probably get something with adjustable dampening so you can adjust it to the softer setting.

I personally also care a lot about ride quality and I'm actually happy with the current setup I have as they can be adjusted.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

i will trade you my stock setup plus $20 for your setup!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Hey thanks for the responses everyone!

I'll try to address:

Andrew149 -- so if I did coilovers they take the place of both the separate springs and shocks correct? Sorry for the ignorance.

Also you mentioned S4 springs. So you mean keep the Bils and add these? And where does one buy S4 springs that fit my car?

OD: the pan gets damaged from snow. We don't get much here but when we do, I sometimes have to go down streets that are not plowed and have a huge line of snow in the center of the street from other cars making tracks. The lowness is not so much an issue of the ride. It's really getting squeaky and jarring. I'm getting old and tired of it

All: I can't really consider swapping/trading unless someone is willing to have their car out of commish for a couple weeks. I can't afford to have my car out for that long.

Sounds like coilovers or adjustables maybe the way to go. Can you still buy stock springs somewhere? Like a ditz I junked mine.

What is making the car so low and harsh more - the shocks or the coils?

Also, what is the lifetime of these things? Mine are almost 10 years old. That seems like time to buy new anyways? Something in the $500 range (plus install) would be okay with me if it really improved the ride and raised the car just an inch. When I put current setup on it lowered the car more than 2" (my mechanic measured bfore/after). I swear there's only six inches under there now.

Cheers,

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking advice on moving back toward stock suspension feel.