B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Selling my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Selling my car

Thought I could handle the financial responsibility, but some air compresser is going out- $800, cam seals are shot- $1200.. I can't afford it as it is, this is the worst day of my life..

Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Selling my car

cam seals are inexpensive, it's the labor. you'll get pennies on the dollar for a car with $2000 worth of problems. I'd suggest buyiong some tools and visitiong your dealer for a parts order. buy a haynes and get to it.

combined with the knowledge on the multiple Audi forums, there very little you couldn't repair with some photos and time.

If it's over then it's over but cam seals and a compressor shouldn't cost $2k... get another quote before you give up, or take a serious look at fixing it yourself.

Ryan

Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm make believe

I think i have a cam seal sitting in my garage that i will let you have for basically shipping. Plus you can score a ac compressor on vortex for less than $200. I ended up getting mine for $20 from someone that was selling parts from his scraped car.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, I'll have a list of problems when I get it back from the dealer..

Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm make believe

Just looked it up, the seal is only $5 from ecs

Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

BTW - I sold off my supra based on a dealer estimate due to leaking front cam seals. they kept telling me that there was no gaurantee that they would both seat and I could have to redo them a couple times... and the redo was on my ticket. it was HUNDREDS each time.

I sold it leaking oil for what i had in it, which was WELL below market value. New owner did the seals himself over a weekend, and they both seated first shot. I learned from that point on to get a diag at a shop, and take a serious look at doing it myself.

don't sell it based on a DEALER estimate either. you'll come to regret it. if the bill of health was a blown head with bent valves it would be a different tune you'd hear me singing.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Ok so it's a secondary air pump, and cam seals.. any dyi's on how to change either..?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

search and do it over a weekend... and have patience

Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: gen2roller

Ok so it's a secondary air pump (that is if you dont have emissions), and cam seals.. any dyi's on how to change either..?
you can live w/o sai. Havent searched for a cam seal DIY, auditech79 can help if you cant find one

Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: gen2roller

Thanks guys, I'll have a list of problems when I get it back from the dealer..
there is your first problem. you took it to a dealership to tell you what your problems were and how much it would cost. i used to do the same, but the more i surf these forums the more i learn and realize i can do it on my own. i just recently got my timing belt done by someone but that was only because he basicly did it for free(i watched/helped and learned as much as i could).....dont give up, dealer parts are expensive but you can always find the same parts somewhere else cheaper.

Quick Reply: Selling my car