B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Should I buy this Audi?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Default Should I buy this Audi?????

Im a current BMW 528i owner selling my car this weekend. I have the chance to pick up a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro with the 1.8 turbo. The guy told me the problems with the car

1) power windows and door locks are inop

2)major scratches all over the car

3) missing two 75 dollar trim pieces

4)the light on the dash are dim during the daytime?????? who knows?

are these common problems and is it going to be expensive to fix?

and by looking at the upgrade possibilities for the thing, im think mid grade turbo 475 horse for the car!!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator

depends on the price, could be a good deal. 5 speed or auto? miles? often when the door locks crap out, the cause is the trunk-mounted vacuum pump that operates them. however, the fact that the windows don't work either points to the switches in the driver's door. could be something simple like a blown fuse or broken wire, or something not so simple. if the trim pieces you're referring to are the lower door mouldings, those are easily had online and aren't $75 each. i just bought one for $55 or you can buy the whole set for $160. Not sure about the lights on the dash, thats a bit vague. you're gonna need more than a "mid grade turbo" to make 475whp

Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

lol is this a joke? i laughed

Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by flynnr
lol is this a joke? i laughed
Sorry god of all Audi's! im just familiarizing myself with these cars. had a few questions. your pretty easily entertained if you have nothing better to do than to make fun of someones post. maybe you should concentrate on not being a retard!

so anyways, thanks for the heads up on the vacuum motor. ill look at that. the car is a 5 speed with 136000 on it. he said he checked the fuses but im not so sure. i looked up window motor assemblies for this and they were 350 a pop.

and im just daydreaming so far about the turbo

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
4th Gear

why are u selling the 5 series

Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

how much is he askin? with that many miles and those problems, i prolly wouldn't pay more than $3k for it. the KBB for a 99 1.8T in fair condition is $3500

Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
why are u selling the 5 series
long story short. no license, they caught me in my car for window tint. so i have it on craigslist to get something different. i was thinking like 3000 also. he said 4500. and i was like whoaaaa! pump the brakes! haha!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
4th Gear

so u have no license so u have to sell your car... yet your buying another car? lol

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by STLSinger
Sorry god of all Audi's! im just familiarizing myself with these cars. had a few questions. your pretty easily entertained if you have nothing better to do than to make fun of someones post. maybe you should concentrate on not being a retard!

so anyways, thanks for the heads up on the vacuum motor. ill look at that. the car is a 5 speed with 136000 on it. he said he checked the fuses but im not so sure. i looked up window motor assemblies for this and they were 350 a pop.

and im just daydreaming so far about the turbo
You aren't going to make too many friends here with an attitude like that.

You call someone else a retard yet you had no license and got caught.....hmmmm.

Look around for a better car, there are many out there that have working windows and don't have scratches every where.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
You aren't going to make too many friends here with an attitude like that.

You call someone else a retard yet you had no license and got caught.....hmmmm.
Hahaha! I know right? eh, I dont need friends like that, that make fun of someone that is new and just doesnt know any better.

and the license thing, it blows! Thats the bad part of my job, partying at work for ten years i was bound to get caught!

thanks guys for your help. not sure what im gonna do. i hate to get rid of my 5 series