B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

silicone couplers argh!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs down silicone couplers argh!!

ok. so i like most people have silicone connecting at the FMIC pipes. today on the way home i poped on off twice! it took me an hour for a 20 minute drive. and of course it was the one off the turbo to the ic piping (the easy one to get. haha)

so theres some oil on the inside of it, plus its not easy to get to (esp. on the side of the road) so i still need to take care of the problem in the morning. im just wondering if theres something i can do to give it that extra grip, or even something else i can use instead of silicone. im obvioulsy gunna clean it out but for the future should i scuff up the inside? or is there some kind of...glue type stuff that will hold it until i need to yank it off in the future.

idk. any ideas welcome on this one.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM
5th Gear

mine used to do that as well. just get some t-clamps and you'll never have to worry about it again

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

are T clamps the ones that screw tight and they have the little lines in them? cause thats what i used.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear

Just weld a lip onto the pipe. Then use hose clamps, shouldn't come off then.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 01afour
are T clamps the ones that screw tight and they have the little lines in them? cause thats what i used.
no those are the cheap ones that i started off with as well. this is a t-clamp

you can get them from 034

Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
3rd Gear

t clamps are the way to go, however if the pipe doesnt have a lip or something for the clamp to grab onto, its going to eventualy come off. my stock turbo has a little lip on it so thats not the problem. the aluminum pipe i cut to legnth are the ones that pop off all the time.

i found that if you get some friction tape, the stuff you put on hockey sticks. its available at home depot for $2.80. put one or two layers of that between the pipe and silicone, then tighten the living crap out of it. that will hold for a long time. i still need to find a good speed shop to weld a lip on the pipes that dont have one already.

thats the really only way to make sure its not goin to come off. i keep off of full boost in the rain and at night just incase, i dont want to be under the car on the side of the road. when i go BT im goin to have a custom aluminum pipe welded up, no more BS silicone.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
4th Gear

Ok, I know this sounds weird but if you spray the pipe with hairspray then put the coupler on that will help out a lot.

And +1 on the t-clamps.

Josh

Old 09-13-2008, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cantdrive55
Just weld a lip onto the pipe. Then use hose clamps, shouldn't come off then.

if i had the supplies to weld alum., i wouldnt have started this thread haha. thanks though.

the main problem is that the pipe and the coupler dont line up exactly, so its like the pipe is pullin on it at all times, and the T clamp thats on there is not perfectly level w/ the edge of the coupler. even if i start them level, by the time i get to really cranking it down it starts to slide towards one side. as for the T clamps, thats what i had on there and i feel like they losen up to easily. im gunna try the tape (its not a bad idea at all) and the hairspray and see what happens. i just need this to hold until i have the cash to weld up custom 2.5"-3" pipes.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

oh and if this happens to anyone else, just remember i had to fix it again last night in the pouring rain in the dark, so if you have to do it on the side of the road. just remember it could be worse. (unless its already raining and dark, then its just as sh!tty).

Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

that happened to me, and i was so pissed and fed up i bought these....
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...ducts_id=13141

il sell em in a few months once i get a solid pipe welded up for the intake. but they somewhat did the trick. i never had one of those blow off, but the one piece of strait pipe i have in the system does every once in a while.

the hairspray thing sounds interesting, next time something pops off il try it out. i know from my potato cannon days that its got alot of alcohol in it which would clean the oil off the connection, then when it dries its very sticky.

Quick Reply: silicone couplers argh!!