B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Smoke.... AHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Default Smoke.... AHHHH

I just replaced the rear brake pads... when i took it around the block to break it in.. anyways i noticed the car didnt roll back when i was on a little slope (5speed) and then there was a little smoke coming out of the rear wheel... when i came home the smoke ceased but it still smelled a little.. is there any adjustments that need to be done?????

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Site Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it. The smoke could be any grease or solvents used during the install burning off, or simply just the new pads getting hot for the first time. The rolling back on a slope thing is all in your head. Everything is ok!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM

thanks... man

Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
I wouldn't worry about it. The smoke could be any grease or solvents used during the install burning off, or simply just the new pads getting hot for the first time. The rolling back on a slope thing is all in your head. Everything is ok!
Possibly... but wouldn't it be wise to double check the brakes?!?

Chock the front wheels and jack up the rear end. Put the parking brake down and spin the rear wheels by hand. Do they spin freely?

It's an easy test that could prevent a lot of headaches.

P.S. It takes about 200 miles to bed-in new pads. You should be avoiding panic or short stops and driving normally to prevent warping your rotors or glazing your new pads. Around the block won't bed in new pads.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Site Moderator

If the car stops and doesnt make noises like the pads arent seated right, then there isn't anything to worry about. He said there was some smoke. New brake parts often = a little bit of smoke. Sounds like a case of slight paranoia to me.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear

I have to disagree with 1.8 a little bit. You should double check. Did you grease up the pins the caliper rides on? If they are loaded with dirt / rust it can make the caliper cease up a little which would cause the pad to ride on the rotor. Also a bad caliper could do this if its not retracting all the way. My caliper is likely bad and in the morning I hear the pad squealing against the rotor really really lightly but its there. It also warped my rear discs before I got the car. Just check it out so you don't have to fork out all the money for brakes again. The previous owner supposedly did brakes on my car and they all look new but need replaced now because of warped rotors although I could get the rotors turned they don't really look like he replaced them with the brake job.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 PM

well it stopped smoking and there isnt any smells.. but i would def. keep checking if anything seems iffy.. but thanks guy... Helping a newbie....lol

Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Site Moderator

Even if you fucked it up your front brakes account for most of your stopping power anyways. I'm not against double checking your work, I just have a severe gut feeling that it's a simple case of n00b-paranoia. No offense

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

grease on brakes. should stop soon. next time spray some brake parts cleaner on your rotors/drums before putting your tire back on.

If you feel you covered them in grease and it doesnt go away (or ineffective braking), take the pads off, spray them down, scrub lightly with sand paper (any grade), spray again, put together, and yes, spray again. I used to buy cases of brake parts cleaner when I worked at shops.

Remember: Carb cleaner can substitute brake cleaner, but brake cleaner can not substitute carb cleaner.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tac223
Remember: Carb cleaner can substitute brake cleaner
Bad idea. Carb cleaner is nasty stuff. Don't substitute carb cleaner for brake or parts cleaner.

Quick Reply: Smoke.... AHHHH