B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sound Turning Steering Wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. First, yes the noise is from "16 to :37. I agree it does sound like gears. Yes the shop said they did not think it was the rack.. also the rack does not engage when the car is off and I am pushing down on the fender (correct?)... and yes only the drivers side. And wouldn't the rack make noise even cold - just after starting it.

Also as I mentioned before the car must get hot. Not just hot from running it needs to be hot enough outside too. 80+ degrees. When it was less than 70 degrees it was almost impossible to hear it. And with it the car cold (just after starting) and even if it is warm out it takes a bit of time to start making the noise enough to hear it. And what is also weird as I am trying to diagnose it the longer the car sits eventually the noise diminishes.

My plan is to run the car to get the noise to be made.. then park it and disconnect the TRE and see if it still makes the noise pushing down on the fender. (As you say it is the common overlap). Depending on the result - unbolt the sway bar link ( I dont think this is it - but want to eliminate it. There is more noise turning the wheel but it makes the same noise pushing down on the fender only.

I am open to suggestions - I cannot think of anything else that is unrelated to the steering or suspension.

I will update ones I try the TRE disconnect.
Thank you again.

Last edited by ProfileTrader; 05-15-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Update: I got an idea - if the noise is loud after the car is hot I thought maybe I could still feel the vibration with the car cold even though there is no audible noise. And I thought maybe the vibration would be minimal - enough to feel it where the problem is bit not so much that it could be felt everywhere. I think (hoping) it worked. Since I felt the greatest vibration in the front lower control arm, sway bar link, shock and coil spring I decided first to disconnect the sway bar link.

Result - still had vibration - but much less in the control arm but same in the shock body, and stem (where it connects to the control arm). Also the same in the coil spring. I don't feel much if anything in the upper control arms either. So I concluded that the problem is in the strut assembly.

In the strut assembly prior to making any changes there was no issues. The items replaced were the shock, bumpers, plastic cover and strut mount. The strut mount was replaced a second time so I can rule that out - Unless it is rubbing inside the mounting plate - could that be (thoughts?). That leaves the spring seats, coil spring and shock. I am leaning toward the shock as there was no issues before replacing and I was told it is very unlikely it is the coil spring. Being unfamiliar with exactly how the assembly articulates I am not sure if the spring seats could cause this. Can the shock make that kind of noise with small slow turns in the steering wheel. Pushing up and down I would think it is possible.

Anyway thanks for reading and the help.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

It sounds like you're close, but I personally have never touched my suspension outside of control arms so I can be of no help. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2017, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, but a couple things you mentioned got me thinking and that is always good.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

Update in case your curious. I replaced the Shock and when I installed it back into the car I put a very thin coat of silicone grease (the same used for the brake guide pins) on the shock mount. After driving the car I barely heard, just a couple times, the noise. The conclusion I have come to at this point was that it was either the shock or the shock mount but I am leaning toward the shock mount. If it makes more noise as time goes by then I will remove and add more grease and see if that stops it.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

Glad you at least found something to make the sound change for the better (diagnosis is 90% of the problem imo), if not fixed it completely!

Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Update- well the noise is louder than ever.. as it is hotter than ever too here.. which makes it louder. Very odd. Doesn't seem to affect the steering or suspension but it is so very annoying. Will at some time bring it in to see if someone can identify the source.

Others hearing the noise say who cares - but for me it bugs me.