B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

squeaking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default squeaking steering wheel

My steering wheel makes an annoying squeaking sound whenever I'm driving slow and making u-turn or turning in parking lots. I searched and found that it's probably lacking lubrication somewhere in the steering column. I've wanted to attempt to take apart the steering wheel to look in there but I'm a little nervous about the airbag going off. If I were to disconnect the battery, would that prevent this from happening, or is there still a risk?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
4th Gear

well... i can almost guarantee that putting in yellow high beams wont help hahaha

Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
well... i can almost guarantee that putting in yellow high beams wont help hahaha
Ha, ha. Very funny Mr Phil.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

mine makes that noise2.... i keep driving till somthing breaks

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by audia4ever98
mine makes that noise2.... i keep driving till somthing breaks
Yeah, sometimes if I feel like I might break something, I just end up living with it.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear

I can only hope to meet the level of competence, relevance and helpfulness presented in the previous replies you've recieved.

That said, I also have this noise, BUT I have previously taken apart the steering wheel. I plan on taking it apart again to lubricate it soon. (and also try to re-align the spline a couple notches, I put the wheel on just a tad off-center.) Basicall, what I did when removing the wheel was disconnect the battery (be sure you have your radio code!) and to make certain the power was drained I laid on the horn. This did nothing, (requires power) but I held it down for about 30 seconds. If you're still concerned, leave it for a few hours powerless. This will drain all power. As a precaution though, when removing the bolts I didn't sit in the seat, but rather reached from the saftey out of the vehicle. All went well though! Good luck, and let me know if you need help taking it apart. I've got pics from replacing the turn-signal switch, but have been delaying a writeup.

Last edited by kayakman13; 12-13-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks kayakman13. I might try it out then and do exactly what you did. My luck, if I were to sit in the drivers seat the damn thing would probably blow up in my face lol.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

^^^ just so you respect teh power of the airbag, watch this video...it is so god damn funny i think i lost like 5lbs just by laughing.....

P.S.: hope its a good link, its a youtube video, in case its not, just put "couch airbage"on teh search of youtube....have many people around, cause its just that funny, it must be shared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppxu70Wojo

hey kayakman, mind sending me those pics?? im thinking of installing and remote start and i'll need those pics to take out teh steering area

Last edited by kevace1; 12-14-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kevace1
^^^ just so you respect teh power of the airbag, watch this video...it is so god damn funny i think i lost like 5lbs just by laughing.....

P.S.: hope its a good link, its a youtube video, in case its not, just put "couch airbage"on teh search of youtube....have many people around, cause its just that funny, it must be shared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppxu70Wojo

hey kayakman, mind sending me those pics?? im thinking of installing and remote start and i'll need those pics to take out teh steering area
That's some great stuff there lol. I can't believe its that powerful. I knew someone who got in a slow speed accident and the damn thing broke his nose. It seems like they do more harm than good sometimes.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

air bags arent fun at all. had a 98 maxima, going to school one day hit a pickup truck when i was doing like 40mph. That didnt hurt at all. but after the crash was just sitting there for a second and BAM the airbag flies out at me.. it was delayed by atleast 5 seconds..Im a tall kid so hurt my chest and back, cant imagine getting hit in the face..swear the dam things do my harm then good.

Quick Reply: squeaking steering wheel