B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Strange thing happening....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

I officially have a headache. Ive been calling everyone I know that has a manual transmission and everyone is telling me the same thing--the car will stall if they dont give it enough gas or push in the cluch, when for example going very slow. This is my last attempt to get my point across. Everyone bear with me here im going to give an extensive example.

-Lets say your starting out in first gear, so you slowly let out the clutch and slowly give it gas to get the car going. Once the clutch is out all you have to do is give it gas to accelerat the car. Lets say you accelerate the car up to 20 mph and then take your foot off the gas. The resistance of the engine will cause the car to slow down rather quickly. Now, if you do not give it gas again or push in the clutch as the car slows down to around 2-4mph the car SHOULD die (because the engine is not getting enought gas). I have multiple people agreeing on this fact with me. My roomate has a 2004 GLI and his car will CHOKE and then DIE in the example I just gave. My car on the other hand recently will NOT CHOKE OR DIE in the example just listed, it will just keep on goin at about 5 mph.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 PM
3rd Gear

I may be totally wrong but I remember hearing someone talk about this.. Our cars, like many others, have set idle speeds and will prevent what you're saying should be expected to happen. Even if you are in first and you brake with no clutch until the car is going like 2mph, the engine will give itself gas and go back to the 5mph or whatever once you let off the brake. I don't know much about this but it does sound like your car does not have anything wrong with it causing it to stay running when you think it should stall.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 AM

u shouldnt worry bout this i had a 2.8 also and it did the same as well as my newer 1.8t it is pretty typical and the only cars that are manuals that i havent seen do it are highly modified cars pushing well over 3 and 4 whp

Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 AM

dude its normal get over it!!
mine does the exact same thing. im pretty sure most manuals do this!!
i've never driven one that doesnt!!
maybe some dont handle as much load but they all do to a certain point!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear

I have to agree with mzo0163 on this. All manuals I've driven will stall if you release the clutch and fail to give the engine gas. You can't putt along at 5 mph in first gear like its an auto tranny. I've driven a 2004 Toyota Tundra, a 2000 Honda Civic and my 1998 Audi A4 just to name a few and they all do this. My audi stalls in reverse all the time and its very embarassing. (I wish it did the set idle speed thing in reverse.)

But I can tell you all one thing: Tomorrow I am going to pull into my cul-de-sac and let out the clutch and see what happens. I expect a dramatic and lurching stall leaving me worried about the transmission.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 AM
4th Gear

Also have to agree.. have never seen a car do this.. trucks, ya, not cars.

So whats happening? You have a worn clutch.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Also have to agree.
Me too. I stalled my 2.8QM several times when trying to adjust to it after buying the car. Hyundai clutches are worlds apart from the stock Audi clutch so it took me some trial and error to get it to work and it stalled out on me numerous times the first couple days I had the car til I got used to it.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

the car will idle forever in any gear. 5th gear it may die, but 1st gear or 2nd possibly 3rd it will put along.. the higher the gear the faster you will go. IE: 1st gear will idle at 5mph, 2nd 8-10mph, 3rd 10-15mph

Trust me. I drive in downtown traffic and sometimes don't touch my gas pedal for multiple blocks. Also, I used to go camping and there was a 3 mile road around a lake with like a 10mph limit, I would idle in 2nd where ever I went.

I've driven MANY manuals, SRT-4, GMC sonoma, Chevy S10, Celica GT-S (6 speed) my A4, and more. This is suppose to happen.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
I don't know how to tell you this but it's normal.
i was gonna say the same thing, some cars will some wont

Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 AM
3rd Gear

Hahaha this thread is funny.

Let the clutch out slowly and the car won't stall. Let it out abruptly, on a hill, or in second gear, it will stall. Many cars allow you to "walk" it through slow-moving traffic without stalling.

Quick Reply: Strange thing happening....