B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
1st Gear
Default subs

i need some help ive always been told that putting subs in my car would be a mistake and i think different would 2 10" subs in my car sound good or not thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

i had one kicker 10" in my nissan xterra and it was plenty. it hit so hard. 2 10's will be a lot

Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

ok but i got told that it would sound crappy

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

that completely depends on the setup. get shitty subs/amps you'll get shitty sound. you get what you pay for. if rattling is what youre worried about, i have 2 8's and it really isnt a problem, but you can always dynamat the trunk/license plate. (license plate rattle is the most ghetto piece of **** sound btw)

Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Like everyone else mentioned, it all depends on the brand/setup. There are many different kinds/setup you can get from entry level, midrange, to top of the line. Of course the prices will go up the higher level you go up.

I've got my self a single 8 inch and completely satisfied with it. I'm also willing to put my sub side by side against some 10-12 inches subs out there.

Placement and material/shape of the box will also make some difference when it comes to the end result.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

if you like bass get a sub its that simple. poeple can tell you it will sound like crap because they dont like it. your going to have rattles its inevitable. but if your going for sound quality id go with an 8 or 10. nothing too big but youll be suprised what it can actually do.
one thing NOT to go cheap on is the amp you will regret that every day if you do.

kriptonik i deffinately agree my little system pounds and im not really sure why it does.but i do spend money on quality stuff.

any videos?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

I dont think it's a mistake at all unless they mean it'd be a waste of money. If you like bass you will enjoy it, and even if you dont if you get a smaller sub set up with little distortion you will just notice a fuller cleaner range of sound in your car. I actually think that of the cars that I have owned and put subs in or even heard the A4 is the best, better than my BMWs. I think it has something to do with wiring it to the factory stereo that complements each other and makes it sound so good.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

I was running a Jensen head unit and 10" kicker w/ported enclosure sounded great.
Have to agree with the license plate statement just says ghetto.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Legal Moderator

not to be redundant, but it all depends on your setup and how you want it to sound. you lookoing for a whole new sound system completely? just want a little extra bump in the trunk or you goin for "hear me a block away"? if you wanna stay classy i would first recommend dynomatting your trunk and securing anything loose as it will rattle. you didnt say if you got a aftermarket radio, so ill assume you have a stock one. you can run subs just fine off a stock radio, but you will loose any sub controls an aftermarket one has which can come in handy. it prolly wont have the clarity that you might want, but most people go for spl over sq. in that case i would recommend one twelve inch sub, running about 400-600 watts rms, in a ported box. would definately be enough to shake the car when you want, but for most ocaasions you can keep the gain down and just have a little extra thump. personally, ive had a couple jbl p1222's in my old car and it was quite loud. a good setup for you would be a one of those subs (except the p1224, unless you wanna drop it down to one ohm, in which case it would sound terrible) and a kenwood kac-x10d amp. same things i had. good bang for the buck as it can be had for around 300 for both

Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up sods

I have 2 10" alpine type r's in my tunk w/ a 600 x 2 amp and a pioneer headunit. it sounds great the rear deck rattles like a mother but ill be fixing that soon. go for it you will definetly like it

Quick Reply: subs