B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Subwoofer to symphony cd deck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Subwoofer to symphony cd deck.

Is it possible to hook up a subwoofer and amp to the stock symphony cd deck or do I need to get a different cd deck. Also if anyone has reccomendations on a good type of amp and wattage to get for just 1 12" sony xplod sub. I used to have 3 12" in my old ford taurus hooked up to a 1000 watt xplod amp but ive sold the amp because I needed money.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
5th Gear

do you have bose? the bose has an amp that you can cut and splice wires to to hook up a second amp. it's kind of a PITA but it works like a charm. there's quite a few DIYs on this page http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html

Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Legal Moderator

what you need is called a line output converter (loc) available at your local best buy. i would recommend circuit city, but, well, you know. you need to splice the wires of the loc into the speaker wires directly after the radio ( i would recommend t-tapping them). an loc converts a high level input (aka speaker input which is already amplified) into a low level output (aka a rca plug which is unamplified) that runs to your aftermarket sub amp. what hiwords said will only work if 1. you have a bose system and 2. if you splice the wires at the correct point and 3. if you know exactly what your doing. if you mess up on any of these you will create a ton of distortion which will sound terrible and ultimately blow your sub.
as far as which amp to run, i need to know exactly which sub you have. plus, dont ever put anything sony in your car please. their line of car audio products is called xplod for a reason. cause it explodes!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
what you need is called a line output converter (loc) available at your local best buy. i would recommend circuit city, but, well, you know. you need to splice the wires of the loc into the speaker wires directly after the radio ( i would recommend t-tapping them). an loc converts a high level input (aka speaker input which is already amplified) into a low level output (aka a rca plug which is unamplified) that runs to your aftermarket sub amp. what hiwords said will only work if 1. you have a bose system and 2. if you splice the wires at the correct point and 3. if you know exactly what your doing. if you mess up on any of these you will create a ton of distortion which will sound terrible and ultimately blow your sub.
as far as which amp to run, i need to know exactly which sub you have. plus, dont ever put anything sony in your car please. their line of car audio products is called xplod for a reason. cause it explodes!
ok cool thanks do u know if there are any diys of that with some pics to help me and as for the amp question its a 12" xplod haha i got them back when i turned 16 for a good deal i didnt know anything back then i still thought a car was a car and it didnt matter.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear

im doing this same thing... link for the loc would be cool...

Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Legal Moderator

i dont know of any diy's but unless you really know what your doin i wouldnt even atempt. some others might say its easy, but if you mess up on something bad things will happen. try to find a buddy that has experience

Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

sounds like i have one haha jk i have had many systems in my previous rides but never stock cd deck which im looking to keep... sooo i think the converter would be the way to go. i got a powered sub from a friend that just got rid of his a4 (needed money) but it sounded GREAT in his car... every single 'bass tube' i have ever seen has sounded like shiat but this one actually pounds!

i though people tapped into the rear speakers though for this??

is this what i want to buy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200702389978

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Legal Moderator

yes flynn that is what you want and that is metra too! my favorite! yah you can tap into the rear speakers with that but i am against it cause it really isnt as clean. i would rather tap into it right off the radio.
most of the systems i have had experience with are rather large. my previous one was running two 1200 watt kenwood excelon amps with two 2ohm jbl dvc's running at 1ohm apiece. believe me it bumped. the only that scares me is taking apart trim pieces. i know the audio things in an out but i really would hate to eff up the trim pieces i have never really even bothered with powered subs