B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Super ssqv

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

lol alraighty guys.. so i ran to Auto Zone and grabed 2 filters for the intake cone mod. and tore this beast apart and started throwing these things on it.. i grabed a shorty filter cuz that was all they had which worked out better anyway cuz that is one tight ******* space to put a filter lol and i grabed a filter for that air tube that runs up the side of the Air box (turbo side) and hooked everything up and went for a ride and wow i can hear the DV letting off and it sounds good (wouldnt mind it being a lil louder :-P) but i think a new DV will make it a lil louder so ill order one soon.. spent like 40$ getting the filters so there i was driving down the road and everytime i stomped on the gas it would shudder and bog and run like **** so i was like gotta be the MAF right? lol so i pull back in the drive way and with it running unplug the MAF and holy **** that thing ran like a totally diff car.. that being said im going to assume my MAF is toast?. ill try pulling it and spraying it again with that CC MAF cleaner and see if it works this time but i think it only made it worse last time i did it.. so who knows.. but im a lil confused.. every car ive ever owned wont run with the MAF unplugged is it normal for the A4 to run amazing with the MAF unplugged.. when i turned the car off and back on and reved it up twice the CEL came on (and of course i know why cuz the MAF is unplugged) but as long as i unplug it after its allready running it runs fine?.. im lost.. lol help me out guys..

Old 10-16-2010, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

lol come on guys.. another Question is there any bad things that could happen for starting it and unplugging the MAF lol cuz i dont get paid till the 15th of next month lol so i wont be able to get a new MAF till then lol

Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Guru

i have been running mafless(unplugged) for the last 3 months.... i need to get a new maf too

Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by numlock4045
now IMO BOV's AND DV's on the Audi (depending on year) are all a prefrence. but either way im not paying for that DV/BOV thing.. theres no way im going to pay more then 100$ for a lil what 5in piece thats just rediciouls..
Since you don't like opinions, heres mine.

With that attitude you bought the wrong car.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
i have been running mafless(unplugged) for the last 3 months.... i need to get a new maf too
so youve been starting it up then poping the hood and unplugging it for 3 months? lol and everything has been good? no CEL's??

Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Guru

no, i unplugged it 3 months ago and never looked back.... no cel for my maf, but you got to realize i am not stock either

Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
no, i unplugged it 3 months ago and never looked back.... no cel for my maf, but you got to realize i am not stock either
haha your car sounds just like mine. no cat, no maf, but now i have to get inspected haha. i also ripped my entire evap system out and modified my vac system, and here in PA, if you have an engine light, you cant pass inspection

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by colony777
haha your car sounds just like mine. no cat, no maf, but now i have to get inspected haha. i also ripped my entire evap system out and modified my vac system, and here in PA, if you have an engine light, you cant pass inspection
Yenno they also do emissions inspections that you won't pass with no cat and no maf

Old 10-16-2010, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear

Just so you know, a DV recircs the air back into the TIP because the MAF has already compensated for it. If you run a BOV, you will run rich inbetween shifts and eventually ruin your cat. A BOV just dumps the air into the atmosphere. They are essential the exact same thing, just one reuses the air. You can unplug the DV from your tip and it will sound like a BOV...don't do that though. I ran a Greddy Type S for a while and my gas mileage went down too. It was loud, but my Stratmosphere DV is loud as fvck too...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Yenno they also do emissions inspections that you won't pass with no cat and no maf
not in PA, they dont do sniffer tests. the emissions inspection is if your ecu says its bad haha, no joke. i even have hookups, and they cant pass me with an engine light

Quick Reply: Super ssqv