B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

throttle body adaptation issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Question throttle body adaptation issue

I have read hundreds of posts about tba and in none of them have I found a issue like this.
After disconnecting my battery I did a tba alignment on my 1.8 20v with a VCDS 11.11 . The issue is that the tb does not remember the alignment. So everytime I put the key in ON position it starts aligning. I can't understand why this keeps happening.
I have aligned it in the past with a older vag com and that worked just fine.
All the preconditions like battery voltage are met.
I have read about draining the ecu of power but I am not sure of how relevant that is and how safe it is for the ecu.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

How long was your battery disconnected? You can drain all the caps by touching the positive and negative battery cables together AWAY FROM THE BATTERY and it won't hurt anything. I've done it many times.

Where are you located? Many of us have fully functional vag coms of various and assorted versions that might be able to help out.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Legal Moderator

everytime the key is turned to the on position, the throttle will want to align. nothing abnormal there. and what do you mean it forgets the alignment? after an alignment via the key in the on position, does it run well? then you shut it off and start it up again and struggles to idle well? sounds like a throttle body issue to me. id try another. but which throttle do you have? drive by wire? if so you can use just about any dbw throttle body from any jetta, passat, or audi 1.8t.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Once you have done the aligment via vag com it shouldn't keep aligning everytime i put the key in . Right?
So everytime I want to start the engine i have to wait for the tba. After that it starts just fine and runs fine. If I don't wait for the aligment to finish it has a hard time starting.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Once it's aligned, it's aligned. You can check this in VAG-COM. I've read that the TB will actually hum as it holds the throttle plate slightly open for easier starting (this is assuming the TB has previously been aligned). And then after 30sec or so when the engine hasn't started, the TB will stop holding the throttle plate open (perhaps to conserve the battery). I can't verify if this is true, but it makes sense to me.

When you originally did your TBA in VAG-COM, did you go to Block 60 or whatever it was and check that the alignment was okay?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Once it's aligned, it's aligned. You can check this in VAG-COM. I've read that the TB will actually hum as it holds the throttle plate slightly open for easier starting (this is assuming the TB has previously been aligned). And then after 30sec or so when the engine hasn't started, the TB will stop holding the throttle plate open (perhaps to conserve the battery). I can't verify if this is true, but it makes sense to me.

When you originally did your TBA in VAG-COM, did you go to Block 60 or whatever it was and check that the alignment was okay?
This actually makes sense.
So i tried to start the engine today without waiting for the huming to end and it started quite well.
If there is anyone like me who didn't know this, after you do the tba the throttle body will still sound like it's aligning everytime you put the key in the on position, but the engine should start just fine right away. But if it acctualy is not alligned you might experience very hard starts if you do not wait for the huming sound to end.
Thank you for the answers.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
How long was your battery disconnected? You can drain all the caps by touching the positive and negative battery cables together AWAY FROM THE BATTERY and it won't hurt anything. I've done it many times.

Where are you located? Many of us have fully functional vag coms of various and assorted versions that might be able to help out.
all you have to do is unplug the negative and put key in and turn key to start position a few times.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

I have always heard the throttle body aligning when ever I turn on the ignition. Sometimes I let it do it's thing and sometimes I just start the thing. Makes no apparent difference to me. However, the TB doing it's thing is normal and you only have a problem if it DOESN'T try to do it.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Works on a standard too?

Hi guys. I had gotten a lot of water pumped into my gas tank. It was catastrophic. Had injectors cleaned and replaced. Fuel lines blown throw tank emptied. Fuel filter replaced... than started on sensors.. maf, ecu, tbs. .. After replacing the throttle body it revs randomly like it don't register when foot comes off gas or goes back on.... so. Trying to do the those body alinement. .. will this manual method work on my standard manual transmission as well?? And if so.. why does it not?

I am desperately trying one last time to save my baby. Any thought about what could be the issue is a pre cited.