B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tiptronic Issues in 1998 A4 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Default Tiptronic Issues in 1998 A4 2.8

My car has had a few issues lately (brakes, PS leak, Tranny leak, etc.) but none of them have bothered me as much as the latest issue. The tiptronic system on the car has been activating itself without being placed in the tiptronic mode.

Then, after it is activated, I cannot seem to get out of the tiptronic mode without putting the car into neutral. The car will not shift on its own when it is put (either on purpose or falsely activated) when in tiptronic mode.

So, if anybody has any experience with this issue, I would much appreciate a reply. And if you had this fixed by a mechanic or dealer, what was the breakdown of repair costs by parts and labor. I do not have the option to fix this on my own, as I do not have a backup car or time to finish this in a day.

Anyways, thanks to anybody with insight on this problem. I always browse these boards when issues arise. You all are very knowledgeable.

John

Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM

I have a small (but potentially vital) update. If I am in D(rive) and slightly (I mean extremely slightly) bump the gearshift, it will enter the tiptronic mode. My estimate of the slightness may be .25-.75 mm. Could I have a crossed wire somewhere in the electrical transmission control? What are the other possibilities here? Any replies, as always, are greatly appreciated.

-John

Last edited by guitarstrummin63; 09-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Site Moderator

This is likely a result of your magnetic switch being out of alignment. There is a small magnet under the metal shifter surround. When the lever is pushed sideways it will normally move the magnet and engage the switch.

This is a common issue as the tiptronic cars age. Usually you just remove the shifter surround and realign the magnet (or replace it if it is not working anymore). Unfortunately, on a 1998, removing the shifter surround means removing the entire center console which is a major job.

See here for console removal...
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...center+console

Last edited by brrman; 09-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Would this also cause the car to stay stuck in the tiptronic mode when put back into D(rive)? From what I've read, this solution applies to people who can't get into tiptronic mode. I can't get out of it once I am in it and it is extremely easy to get into it.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 AM

Actually, would it be possible the magnet could cause issues of the tiptronic not turning on and staying on even while in drive within the same vehicle? It would not go into tiptronic mode this morning, which is a big change from the previous.

Also, the transmission was struggling (little slips, felt like I had to really press it down to move at all) this morning. Could this be related in any way?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Site Moderator

I still think the magnet might be the culprit. It can cause any number of issues with engaging or disengaging tip mode.

Since you mention your tranny seems to be slipping, I would bring your car to Autozone to get your codes read. You may have other electrical or mechanical issues. Are you sure it's your tranny and not engine studder?

Haven't gotten a lot of water in your engine compartment have you? No water in the footwells of the cabin after a rainfall?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:10 PM

My car has been garaged for the last 4-5 years, as for what the car went through before I owned it I cannot say. I will have to get the codes read at some point, perhaps over the next weekend. I can't say whether it is the tranny or engine studder, but I am sure the car has other electrical and mechanical issues. I have never gotten water in the cabin of the car.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Site Moderator

The reason I ask about water in the cabin of the car is because sometimes the sunroof drains clog up and overflow into the passenger footwell of the cabin. This happens to be where the transmission control unit is located... You can guess where I'm going with that...

Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Yeah, unless something of that nature happened before the car was sold to me then water hasn't gotten into the TCU.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

I think you should start by checking the magnets as suggested. Here a picture album showing both pre and post facelift access to the tiptronics magnets
console removal for tiptronic magnet access

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Issues in 1998 A4 2.8