B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trans Fluid/Filter Change, Fluid Advice????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Trans Fluid/Filter Change, Fluid Advice????

I have a 96 A4 Quattro 01V Tranny. Wanting to do trnasmission fluid and filter change. Dealership says their are 7 diff types of fluid and have to buy Audi brand fluid. Also told me I couldn't do it because the fluid must be heated to 34 degrees C. Any thoughts on this? I am very car savy and just found some of this to be odd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 AM
2nd Gear

1.8 or 2.8?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Should be no problem to do with the right tools. Audi uses the ZF transmissions so you need to make sure you use compatible fluid. Mobile 1 ATF should treat you fine. Don't remember off the top of my head the approximate capacity.

Drain fluid, remove pan, clean pan and magnets, new pan gasket, put pan back on. You will need one of those fluid pump thingys to refill trans. Add fluid till it starts to leak out. Then there is a sequence of running the car with the trans engaged until the fluid warms up. Recommend a vagcom to monitor fluid temperature. Others have had success just using the SWAG method but when your talking about your transmission I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

there is probably a good walkthrough around here somewhere. try a search

Old 10-17-2010, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help so far! 2.8, sorry about that! Anymore thoughts?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

I just bought the filter kit and 3 quarts of Pentosin ATF1 because i planned on doing it myself. I wasn't aware of bringing the fluid to a certain temperature? As long as you go through the filling procedure and running procedure, then go back and check the level of the fluid again i dont see the need to worry about a specific oil temp?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:39 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

make sure you when you are working on the car it is level, either lift all four corners or work in a pit. i forgot to mention the filter but since you asked about doing the filter I'm guessing you planned on doing that. take your time and everything should go reasonably well.

Originally Posted by LearningAudi
I just bought the filter kit and 3 quarts of Pentosin ATF1 because i planned on doing it myself. I wasn't aware of bringing the fluid to a certain temperature? As long as you go through the filling procedure and running procedure, then go back and check the level of the fluid again i dont see the need to worry about a specific oil temp?
no offense, but based on your question either keep learning or consult a professional. good luck

Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jseel
I have a 96 A4 Quattro 01V Tranny. Wanting to do trnasmission fluid and filter change. Dealership says their are 7 diff types of fluid and have to buy Audi brand fluid. Also told me I couldn't do it because the fluid must be heated to 34 degrees C. Any thoughts on this? I am very car savy and just found some of this to be odd.

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes...
Forget the dealers.
There is hope here buddy.
I have a A4 99 Q.
Have done transmition fluid and diferential.
Took a lot of research and book reading.The best oil to put there is:75w-90
As long as it is syntetic/fine.You will probably need the torx (triple square) to drain the fluid. The refill plug is a 17mm. Make sure the refill plug comes out first before pulling the drain plug out.
To clean the oil pan and replace the filter you will need to thake it of the transmition. Simple job. Make sure to replace the gasket.
The car must be on plane level when you refill the oil.
Do not overfill it, as soon as oil starts to pour out, stop.
Overfilling causes foam to form and your gaskets may pop out causing all kinds of leaks.Foam+Heat + pressure= leaks
Have patience, you will need it.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
no offense, but based on your question either keep learning or consult a professional. good luck
My username is a "no offense" flame magnet. got it.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Actual WIZARD

Oh my god this thread is becoming a train wreck.

First, the majority (not all) of you are wrong.

The fluid doesn't have to be heated, but is has to be filled while the fluid reaches a certain temp. This is why you need a vagcom. If you fill it up cold, have fun buying a new tranny, because it will be filled way below spec.

mrmaxiron: Don't tell people their Automatic transmissions need 75w90, thats not right at all. I'm not sure where the extensive research/book reading comes into play but whatever.

This is why you need to READ THE F.A.Q. Almost everything you have asked is covered in there. I mean they even have the FULL SERVICE MANUAL in there.

After googling for 15 seconds
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=339022

Last edited by Msnickbroderick; 10-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mrmaxiron
Yes...
Forget the dealers.
There is hope here buddy.
I have a A4 99 Q.
Have done transmition fluid and diferential.
Took a lot of research and book reading.The best oil to put there is:75w-90
As long as it is syntetic/fine.You will probably need the torx (triple square) to drain the fluid. The refill plug is a 17mm. Make sure the refill plug comes out first before pulling the drain plug out.
To clean the oil pan and replace the filter you will need to thake it of the transmition. Simple job. Make sure to replace the gasket.
The car must be on plane level when you refill the oil.
Do not overfill it, as soon as oil starts to pour out, stop.
Overfilling causes foam to form and your gaskets may pop out causing all kinds of leaks.Foam+Heat + pressure= leaks
Have patience, you will need it.
By the way.
I am talking about a manual transmition.
Automatic transmition are for people that can't really drive, therefore...should take theyr car to a mechanic!
NO OFENCE.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid/Filter Change, Fluid Advice????