B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Trouble Codes

I was just getting ready to move and did an oil change and had my plugs changed. Following the changing of plugs, dropped some injector cleaner in. Then had some codes pop. They are:

INSP light on startup- Think its from crossing the 200,000 mile mark
1141 code- Load Calculation Cross Check Range/Performance
1127 code- Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Rich
1129 code- Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank2 System too Rich

I have cleared them twice now and have it come back. Saw someone on a different thread said the MAF, but I had that replaced 2 years ago, hoping it's not need again!

Any other ideas? Only other thing I saw as a suggestion was the fuel filter needing to be replaced.

Car is a 98 A4 2.8.

Any help is some help and better than going to a shop right now as I just moved and trying to save some $$$$$

Let me know if anymore info is needed too.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Administrator

the INSP light is just an idiot light for inspection and maintenance related stuff like oil changes. Nothing to worry about, but if you do some searching there's a procedure to clear that light using the ***** on the gauge cluster.

The long term fuel trim codes could be a vac leak, or O2 sensor related. Bank 1 refers to the driver's side cylinder bank, bank 2 the passenger's side. What do the vac lines on top of your intake manifold look like?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
the INSP light is just an idiot light for inspection and maintenance related stuff like oil changes. Nothing to worry about, but if you do some searching there's a procedure to clear that light using the ***** on the gauge cluster.

The long term fuel trim codes could be a vac leak, or O2 sensor related. Bank 1 refers to the driver's side cylinder bank, bank 2 the passenger's side. What do the vac lines on top of your intake manifold look like?
I will take a look at the vac lines, but I know they were replaced about 3 years ago and they looked nice and fresh, but still might be loose somewhere I guess. I had O2's replaced within the last 2 years as well.

There is a little lag in power in 1st gear when starting to accelerate and sometimes in 2nd gear the same thing. Fuel Filter an issue as well?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CStites
I will take a look at the vac lines, but I know they were replaced about 3 years ago and they looked nice and fresh, but still might be loose somewhere I guess. I had O2's replaced within the last 2 years as well.

There is a little lag in power in 1st gear when starting to accelerate and sometimes in 2nd gear the same thing. Fuel Filter an issue as well?
Interesting. Fuel filter should be changed every 30-60k or so at most, but you wouldn't be seeing rich fuel trim codes from that. Rich codes are usually caused by intake air leaking out someplace between the MAF and the combustion chambers. If the MAF sees X amount of air, the ECU calculates the appropriate amount of fuel for X air, then actually ends up with less than X, you'll run rich and throw a code. Rich/lean is measured by your primary O2 sensors, so you can also throw false rich/lean codes if those are on the fritz.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Interesting. Fuel filter should be changed every 30-60k or so at most, but you wouldn't be seeing rich fuel trim codes from that. Rich codes are usually caused by intake air leaking out someplace between the MAF and the combustion chambers. If the MAF sees X amount of air, the ECU calculates the appropriate amount of fuel for X air, then actually ends up with less than X, you'll run rich and throw a code. Rich/lean is measured by your primary O2 sensors, so you can also throw false rich/lean codes if those are on the fritz.
That makes sense. Can't say that I've had the fuel filter swapped though in the 60k I've put on the car since I've had it. I'm just hoping it isn't the O2's cause I had those replaced less than 2 years ago. I'll take a look around the area and see if someone can take a look and see what it may be. I don't have much in terms of space and tools.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Legal Moderator

on the 2.8, id be willing to bet your rich code is coming from youe 02 sensors. BUT, its odd that theyd both be going bad at the same time. if primary 02 sensor from bank 1 is bad, youd only get a bank 1 rich/lean code. from the information given, id say MAF. they usually trigger lean codes, but can be either way. i dont know much about the audi/vw 2.8 v6, but i do know a couple things about engines in general. i doubt its a vacuum leak since a vaccum leak on a NA engine would mean a lean code, letting in too much unmetered air. on a turbo engine, it would be a rich code letting too much metered air out. or, and this is just on a whim, your engine is getting tired. does it feel more sluggish than it has 50,000 miles ago?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redline380
i doubt its a vacuum leak since a vaccum leak on a NA engine would mean a lean code, letting in too much unmetered air. on a turbo engine, it would be a rich code letting too much metered air out.
That's a good point, I was thinking boost leak not vac leak

Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
on the 2.8, id be willing to bet your rich code is coming from youe 02 sensors. BUT, its odd that theyd both be going bad at the same time. if primary 02 sensor from bank 1 is bad, youd only get a bank 1 rich/lean code. from the information given, id say MAF. they usually trigger lean codes, but can be either way. i dont know much about the audi/vw 2.8 v6, but i do know a couple things about engines in general. i doubt its a vacuum leak since a vaccum leak on a NA engine would mean a lean code, letting in too much unmetered air. on a turbo engine, it would be a rich code letting too much metered air out. or, and this is just on a whim, your engine is getting tired. does it feel more sluggish than it has 50,000 miles ago?
I hope it's not the motor getting tired. It's been good to me this far. What do you think about getting some MAF cleaner and going through that process?

I cleared the codes yesterday afternoon to see if they come back one more time.

EDIT- Overall performance isn't sluggish, just at lower RPM in lower gears is where I have noticed a little loss of power. It slowly increases RPM and then gets a boost of power.

Last edited by CStites; 08-28-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM

This is probably unrelated, but how old are your spark plugs?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
This is probably unrelated, but how old are your spark plugs?
They were done right before this started to happen.

Quick Reply: Trouble Codes