B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Two Testaments To...'More Weight = Less Power'

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Two Testaments To...'More Weight = Less Power'

So It is well known that a heavier car means less overall pick-up. Its the reason Civics and such are so quick (hate to admit), they dont weigh anything! Anyway, during the past 2 weeks i have had two experiences that have confirmed this idea in my mind and given me a first hand example.

Testament #1 - Last week i was hanging out cruzing around with my friend sittin shotgun. We had herd of a party that was goin on and gave this chick a ring. Ends up by the time we get to her we find out shes hangin out with her two friends that are in my opinion quite large. One was about 160 and the other in excess of 200. Thing is...to get to the hot chick you gotta hang out with her and her cow friends a little.(u know what im talkin about) ANYWAY........so with a combined weight of say, 150 (in front) and 160 + 200 + 110 (back seat) = 620 extra pounds. i felt like i was pullin a BOAT behind me. it was insane. pick up was just about cut in half. You could consider my car loaded with ppl but it was nuts how slow i was picken up.

Testament #2 - My friend drives the Crysler 300 w/ 250hp (i dont know what kind of engine it is but i know thats what it makes), we hitthis nice long road around where i live and did some50 to well...125 pulls. Off the horn i pulled on him quickly (i was sittin in 3rd i think)but after i got around to say around 80 he began to catch up and then pass me at around 105. His car weighs 4000 lbs and pulls 250 crank hp. My 2.8 Quattro weighs 3300 lbs and pulls (around) 200 crank hp. My Testament is that...with even 50hp more my friends 300 diddent totally rape my *******. Yeah he beat me but it wasnt embarassing. That extra 700 pounds on his ride made the difference between passing me at 105 and totally killing me. (Basicly if our cars were to weigh the same that 50 extra hp would make me look like a fool.

I now know first hand what a fat *** will do to your ride. Lightweight wheels, CF hood and backseat removal suddenly sound like a great freakin idea.

Thought this would be a good topic for chattin, hope im not being to repetative.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Two Testaments To...'More Weight = Less Power'

yeah been down that road before, and be glad you got that slightly more power, i have a 12v and when i carpool, my dosent pull at all.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: anmagro

So It is well known that a heavier car means less power to the wheels.
No, thats drivetrain loss. You mean power:weight. The more hp/lb the faster it will be.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks cincy ^ Edit...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

depends whether you race on a straight or twisty road, the heavier the car the more glued to the road and the faster you can take a bend before losing grip and stuffing it sideways into the only tree for 20 miles LOL

P.S. I'm not fat but i AM severely horizontally challenged....But i admit it and at least the thing stabbing you has to go further before touching any vital organs. Haha

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM
SoCal Crew Member

how is the first one a testament to Audi. if you load 620 pounds into any 4 banger your going to feel an huge power loss.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

lol bro its not a testament to Audi its simply an example to the fact that more weight generally means slower pick up.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: kb277

depends whether you race on a straight or twisty road, the heavier the car the more glued to the road and the faster you can take a bend before losing grip and stuffing it sideways into the only tree for 20 miles LOL
traction is based on downforce, tire grip, and suspension, not really weight.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: anmagro

lol bro its not a testament to Audi its simply an example to the fact that more weight generally means slower pick up.
oh im sorry, i thought this was the b5 thread on the audiforums.com website... what the hell was i thinking....

In that case...

DUUUUHHHH!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:44 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: kb277

traction is based on downforce, tire grip, and suspension, not really weight.
Good tires are first but the best tires in the world will do nothing if they are not "pushed" down on the road, hence the weight is required to give downforce along with aerodynamics.[:'(]

Quick Reply: Two Testaments To...'More Weight = Less Power'