B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Unknown misfire source Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Unknown misfire source Please Help!

Hello all,

Im a newbie here, I've been a member for almost a year but have never taken the time to post a thread or ask for advice, I typically just browse, mostly due to the fact that I was typically able to solve most of my issues. Also would like to offer my apologies in advance if this topic has already been discussed. I presently own a 97' audi a4 2.8 quattro sohc afc which is my pride and joy aside from this insane misfire which I cannot seem to locate the source of. I recently had the timing belt/water pump kit installed by a local indy shop for around $750, 2 days later on the way to work I noticed a slight stall as i attempted to accelerate off of a busy exit and merge into traffic. I didn't think much of it til the symptoms returned later that day finally causing the check engine light to illuminate. By this time I already had an ignition coil on it's way to RAI motor sports in preparation for a trip as I have encountered these issues previously. The codes were 0300, 304, and 306 i believe, can't recall because I cleared them w/my OBII awaiting the arrival of my coil with confidence. I installed the new prenco unit they had overnighted the next day and the car ran great even at idle for approx 30mins. Since then I have had a new prenco coil installed along w/brand new ngk wires and spark plugs. The codes are now 0300, 302, and 304 with cyl. 2 confirmed with my starter version of ross tech vag com. I am aware I need valve cover gaskets and will be tackling tomorrow more than likely, but on this particular model they do not cause much oil to seep to the sparks since they are not centered like in the dohc models 98'+ right? Also thinking possibly injectors? Any help would be greatly appreciated, will need this vehicle running ASAP, thanks in advance

Last edited by UbErKoOl B5; 06-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Legal Moderator

seems like an ignition related misfire. id focus on the coil/ ignition control module (i'm not positive on how sohc 2.8s operate the spark system), or possibly wires/plugs

Old 06-26-2013, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Have also been told that the timing may be off by a tooth and have heard that it may need an ecu flash to compensate for the "tightness" of the new belt. My local Audi dealership stated that a flash would need to be performed, but Im not sure if the young girl I was speaking with was simply attempting to generate business. At this point the $130 diagnostic fee doesnt seem too bad to pinpoint the issue so that I may begin repairs.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick reply "redline380" what exactly do you mean by ignition control module? I have changed the coil, plugs, and wires w/brand new reputable parts. It is 1 large coil on the v6 models, you cannot disassemble it or replace 1 at a time, i miss my 1.8t in that aspect.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Icm, it's a small rectangle with a small heat sink on the bottom (just like redline I don't know much about 2.8s but on a 1.8t it's on the top of the airbox)

Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Near the maf?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

On the 1.8 it is, literally inches before it. I would assume its still on the airbox so it can be cooled

Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the insight guys, will try to get parts over the next few days. Trying to avoid another trip to the mechanic, esp the stealership.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

Icm swapped from 94' audi 100 I believe, courtesy of a local junk yard, same part id#, no dice! Still misfiring like crazy codes 0300, 302, 304, 305 now also, even tried swapping back to original icm, same results. Was able to get some additl spark plug wires also and had my eye on the set of metal valve covers that come on the 100's need to ensure the fitment, but eyes on the prize.

Parts replaced;
ignition wires
spark plugs
ignition coil (2x under warranty)
icm

Will try some injector cleaner later, made an appt with my local indy who did my timing belt for monday, trying to avoid it though, any additional suggestions folks? Am also planning to do my valve cover gaskets tonight but I do not believe they are the culprit.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

Is all the misfiring on 1 bank of your engine or both?

Quick Reply: Unknown misfire source Please Help!