B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

unstable idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
1st Gear
Default unstable idle

Hi,

I have an Audi A4 1.8 (1996) non turbo car with cable operated throttle. My problem with the car is the idle is unstable and the fuel consumption is high especially on short journeys.
The symptoms are as follows. When the engine is revved and the throttle released the drvs go down to around 600rpm the gain up to around 1100 rpm and eventually settle to around 850rpm after a few seconds. I read that it may be caused by the throttle pot needing to be adapted. I tried to do this by removing the battery negative lead and turning on the lights to drain any residual power. I then re-connected the battery switched on the ignition and did nothing for 30 seconds. I then switched off the ignition and started the car. As a result of doing this the problem had got much worse and the revs fluctuated between 300 revs and 1200 revs and took even longer to settle. After a few days driving the problem went back to the way it was before doing the adaption. I now think that the problem may be related to the Maf and to test this I removed the Maf cable at idle and the car did not change at all.

How can I determine if it is definitely the Maf that is causing the problem or some other cause. I have just got the Ross Tech VAG-COM interface and am learning how to use it so will be able to take a few readings from the ECU.

Regards
Tom

Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: unstable idle

Well, if its a 1.8, then it is a turbo.

See if you are getting any error codes and post them.

It was probably worse for the short time until the ecu reset compltely, usually about 40 miles.

Does it idle about 900 after it runs for a few? If so, its probably related to the idle control that adjusts while the car is warming up. It probably wont cause you too much grief.

If it runs fine after the warm up period, then its probably not the MAF, because it would run shittty all the time if the MAF was bad.

Look for codes, check the engine bay for loose vac lines, and seach the forum for "rough idle".

Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

Audi has 1.8, 1.6 versions non turbo engines outside of the US. Maybe he is in another country

Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

OMG, I can't even imagine a 1.6 or 1.8 without the turbo! Thats almost like dangerous! make sure no ones coming when you pull out on the road!

Arif, when do you move?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear

I'm moving this friday.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

OMG, I can't even imagine a 1.6 or 1.8 without the turbo! Thats almost like dangerous! make sure no ones coming when you pull out on the road!
That's because they pay about $9 a gallon

Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

It is a 1.8 non turbo(european version). The power is not all that bad as it runs high compression using at least 95 octane fuel. The power is about 125bhp with instant throttle response which makes up somewhat for the lack of a turbo. It is Would still prefer a turbo though.

I cannot do any scans today but will get some tomorrow. What parameters should I be logging? What is the normal effect of removing the Maf cable while the engine is idling?

Regards
Tom

Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

im in the uk had the same 1.8 20v a4 before and had exacly the same problems.

MAF and throttle body may nee replacing , also try to set the throttle body basic setting.
try cleaning the throttle body and inatke,
and disconnect the battery and connect again and tou will see the pointer setting itself, this should temporarily resolve the problem.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 AM

I have the very same problem on my A4 but interestingly if the rear of the car is lower than the front (ie on a hill) there is no problem but if it is the reverse I struggle to even start the car. My helpful colleagues here suggest I get some real big front tyres to keep it permanently leaning back.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

Or keep a lot of heavy tools in the back. Not much help to me though!!

Quick Reply: unstable idle