B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Upgrading with s4 parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Upgrading with s4 parts

I have a 98 a4 b5 2.8 So far I bought s4 shocks and tien springs to put on my a4. Out of curiosity what other parts can I swap over for performance gains?. Heads? Intake manifold?
Differential?
I looked around and didn't find much about the 2.8
I would like to make a list.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

If you're looking for HP gains, swap in the entire 2.7T engine. there really isn't much in the way of HP to be gained from the 2.8. The 2.8 heads actually flow better than the 2.7 heads and the S4 guys commonly use them instead.

You could swap the rear differential, but then you'd need to swap to the 01E 6-speed transmission as the ratios are different.

I also have the S4 strut and Tein S-Tech spring combo. It works well. While you're at it, you could upgrade to the S4 front uprights and brakes. It made a huge difference in braking performance on my A4.

Also on the subject of suspension are the sway bars. Our cars are setup from the factory with a bias toward understeer. A way to counteract this and make the car a little more neutral is to install a larger rear sway bar without changing the front. The S4 bar is larger/stiffer than the A4 one and is a direct swap on the cheap. I think the A4 one is something like 12mm and the S4 is 15 or 16mm. Seems small but makes a difference. Larger rear bars can be had in the aftermarket world, but are big $$$ and require bracing the rear subframe to prevent ripping off the mounts. Upgrading the front bar at the same time will negate any understeer that was eliminated.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

The rear brakes are a direct bolt on for every year of the A4 B5. Every thing lines up. You just need bigger vented rotors, pads are the same size. The S4 rear calipers just extend out further than the A4 ones do. Thus allowing the fatter vented rotor. There are really not many performance parts to swap over. Just have to rock the 2.8.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Do what busted did and throw a 4.2 in your B5. Forever shall you be happy.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

When I can turn this DD to my weekend only car I might try a 4.2....

But until then i guess Ill go with juice.. What do you think 90 shot?

Also is boring out intake manifold possible/ worth it?
Can you make VVT kick in earlier?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
If you're looking for HP gains, swap in the entire 2.7T engine.

Also on the subject of suspension are the sway bars. Our cars are setup from the factory with a bias toward understeer. A way to counteract this and make the car a little more neutral is to install a larger rear sway bar without changing the front. The S4 bar is larger/stiffer than the A4 one and is a direct swap on the cheap. I think the A4 one is something like 12mm and the S4 is 15 or 16mm. Seems small but makes a difference. Larger rear bars can be had in the aftermarket world, but are big $$$ and require bracing the rear subframe to prevent ripping off the mounts. Upgrading the front bar at the same time will negate any understeer that was eliminated.
Everytime I hear search on the swap It leads to "buy an s4" How hard is it?
and the 6 speed is somthing i was thinking about for faster launches..

I work at a shop and pretty sure I can fabricate a sway bar out of 1.5 inch steel. Aftermarket at 22mm comes out to like 1.25 or so. How would that effect handling

Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kenny Gerard
When I can turn this DD to my weekend only car I might try a 4.2....

But until then i guess Ill go with juice.. What do you think 90 shot?

Also is boring out intake manifold possible/ worth it?
Can you make VVT kick in earlier?

Everytime I hear search on the swap It leads to "buy an s4" How hard is it?
and the 6 speed is somthing i was thinking about for faster launches..

I work at a shop and pretty sure I can fabricate a sway bar out of 1.5 inch steel. Aftermarket at 22mm comes out to like 1.25 or so. How would that effect handling
The V8 car is my DD.

The intake manifold has been designed to shorten the length of the intake runners at high RPM to increase power. Removing this feature would certainly reduce performance.

The engine swap really isn't that bad and would be easier if you were doing a 2.7 as they actually came in the B5 chassis from the factory and would not require any fabrication. Usually those threads end in "buy an S4" because buying all of the additional suspension, driveline and exterior components would cost more than the value of an S4.

If you want to swap to an 01E 6-speed transmission, you'll need to swap the drive shaft and differential as well. The transmission sits further back from the engine as a result of the increased height of the flywheel/clutch stack. The final drive ratio is different, requiring the change of the differential.

As for fabricating the sway bar, these are made from tempered spring steel and not simply bar stock. Yes it will have some similar properties, but will be subject to more fatigue. You will also have the shape to contend with. It is not a straight shot across the rear. If you look at your stock bar, it has a "hump" to pass over the exhaust. I'm not saying you can't do it. More that your time might be better spent elsewhere.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

Yeah that sounds like a future project..

For now I just want an all motor to stick it to the local hondas

Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
While you're at it, you could upgrade to the S4 front uprights and brakes. It made a huge difference in braking performance on my A4.
What's the best/easiest/cheapest brake upgrade for the 1.8T FWD w/16" wheels?

(Sorry for the thread jack OP!)

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
What's the best/easiest/cheapest brake upgrade for the 1.8T FWD w/16" wheels?

(Sorry for the thread jack OP!)
The easiest would be fresh fluid and good pads. No modification required.

The largest I think you'll fit under the 16" wheels are the 312mm rotors with the A8/TT upgrade. You use the caliper carriers from the MKI TT and rotors from an A8. I have yet to try my 16" winter wheels over my S4 brakes. You can read more on the upgrade here. Incidentally, I do have the parts for this brake upgrade for sale. PM if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Upgrading with s4 parts