B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

vvme HID problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:31 PM
1st Gear
Default vvme HID problems :(

I recently bought two HID single beam kits with H7 6000k bulbs.

I installed them today, and ensured that all four ballasts recieved 14 volts or over.
Xenon bulbs are installed and connected, but there is no light!
Followed installation instructions, and I have not dropped or damaged ballasts or bulbs, have been very careful with them.. It is hard to measure the bulbs because of the very deep connectors, can't get to them with a voltmeter. Tried to measure output of one of the ballasts, it said 0v. Is it possible that ALL FOUR ballasts are broken?

I did this in combination with installing Depo facelift lights, so I had to make a lot of custom harnesses. But they all work, and park light + turn indicator works fine! Just no light in the HIDs whatsoever..

How else can I diagnose this? Looks like I have to take the bus to work tomorrow, buy H7 bulbs in the afternoon, connect it all temporarely and drive with Halogen until I get this fixed. Doh!
Don't have any other bulb holders than the HID one either! Will have to get that somewhere aswell :/

I hate being carless!!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

It's more than likely user error. It sounds like you know how to troubleshoot, but I would take it apart and start all over again. Have you tried wiring a bulb and ballast to the high beam to see if you can get it to work at all?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

try turning the connecter from the power to the harness around you might have the ground and power mixed up cause the connector can go both ways

Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

I would check your fuses for the headlights first, see if everything is fine (no blown ones). I'm not sure if your car comes stock with HID's but OEM HID's are using 15 Amps fuses.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for replies.
No fuses are blown, I have correct voltage all the way to the ballast. I've clipped the power on the right way i think, so that the clips are pressed over the notch so that they stay in place..
I don't think I've damaged the bulbs, was careful not to touch them or scrape them along the metal.. But come on, FOUR ballasts and / or bulbs gone wrong? That's not possible!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Veegard
Thanks for replies.
No fuses are blown, I have correct voltage all the way to the ballast. I've clipped the power on the right way i think, so that the clips are pressed over the notch so that they stay in place..
I don't think I've damaged the bulbs, was careful not to touch them or scrape them along the metal.. But come on, FOUR ballasts and / or bulbs gone wrong? That's not possible!
Can you hear the ballasts make a buzzing sound or any other sound???
It seems bizarre that all 4 would be bad so I am wondering if you are missing a step.
Do the ballasts incorporate the igniters or do those come separately?
Can you post pictures of your installation?Especially the connectors?
I am a bit confused by your statement:

"I recently bought two HID single beam kits with H7 6000k bulbs.

I installed them today, and ensured that all four ballasts received 14 volts or over."

You should only have 2 ballasts, not 4! Or are you upgrading low AND high beams?

Last edited by zippy_gg; 03-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Upgrading low and high beams. Igniters are inside the ballasts. Can give pics, wait a sec!

No buzzing sounds whatsoever, they seem very dead..

Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
3rd Gear

HIDs in your high beams is not a good idea. I would put them in your fogs if you really want two sets.

Last edited by sineo; 03-23-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Why not?

Anyway.. Thank you very much DanPHines, I had simply mixed the power plugs up. Confusing design on those, it seems more obvious that they want to go the other way.. but okay. I turned one, and got it to fire, and it worked!
Connected all, then i heard sparking sounds on the right one, it didn't light. Shut it off, trying more tomorrow, doublechecking all connections.. Fuse didn't blow though.

Night time in Norway, gonna have to take the bus to work tomorrow.. sigh..

Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
5th Gear

if you hooked up the pins that connect to the bulb wrong, the light won't light up. just switch the 2 pins. but then again you did that on all 4?

Quick Reply: vvme HID problems :(