B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What is the best drop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default What is the best drop?

What is the best drop for 18inch rs4 reps on a B5 A4q without sports suspension....? I'm sold on the rs4 rims and I cannot afford coil overs, so I have to be selective with the springs that I get. help me out! thanks!

Matt

Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

well, it depends what youre lookin for, and if goin low is alright where you live, but i would think that the H&R Race Springs would be the best option to go low and get a really nice stance.. the H&R sport springs are like around 1.2" drop i wanna say? and i think the Race Springs are 1.5" and 1.9" front and rear.. those might be backwards but check out AWE tunings website, they have the specs on there for both sets i think.. i was gunna go the spring/shock route too but living in VT i need to have some ground clearance for the winters..

Old 02-15-2009, 03:59 PM

I agree I've been noticing that an H&R combo with koni or bilstein looks perfect. Just imo. I had to settle with an S4 setup for my non-sport A4 because my budget was low for now, but I hope it will help with a little drop and better handling .

Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Well i do live in Michigan, and its probably pretty same weather for the winters, what kind of problems would I run into with going with springs? and could I throw the springs on with the OEM struts? I'm basically strapped for cash after buying tires and rims. But ill look into H&R for sure.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

from what i hear you can run springs on stock sport, on non sport you can but its only a matter of time until they run out of life.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 PM

I've talked to ImtheDevil about alternatives to the spring+shocl situation.

He uses S4 springs on his a4 and loves them, they drop the car a little bit, not much, but they make handling the car a dream. It's a lot less inexpensive, and would probably be the route i would go, i live in Nrthwest ohio.

If its snow your worried about, i would check out OEM s4 springs. If its the dropped look your looking for, i wouldnt go with the s4 springs, they wont do much cause theyre built to support the 2.7biturbo engine which is heavier.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

yea thats what ive kinda picked up that the spring rates are pretty stiff up front holding up the bigger motor in an s4.. but ive heard that people do like them.. just depends if thats the look youre goin for.. as far as the aftermarket springs on OEM struts.. it prolly isnt a bad idea if youre strapped for cash and want the quick fix, as long as in the future you make a plan to go aftermarket struts as well, cause the OEMs will most likely wear out in a quick fashion.. but yea being in michigan you know how it is in the winters.. i just want that not crazy low drop, but the nice raked stance with the front end a little lower than the rear.. since my car is a DD and not a track car the handling isnt AS important to me as the look.. but any drop will make you handle better.. the springs are a good way to go

Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pearlescent
What is the best drop
Matt
A Vida Guerra Booty drop is the best drop.

No seriously, Eibachs matched with Bilstein sport shocks is a nice drop on a budget. Add H-Sport sways and you've got a really nice setup for daily driver duty and weekend auto-X if you get the chance (currently what I'm running, though I have yet to get a chance to get back to the track!).

With the Eibachs or the H&R springs, OEM struts or something like cheapo Monroe replacements wont last and the ride will be bouncy like a spring-chopped civic.

If you're worried about bottoming out in the snow, lowering springs aren't the best option compared to adjustable coil-overs. I live through New England winters and the car is amazing in the snow, but I can't go up a tire-rutted, ice-coated driveway or over a small chunk of snow without banging the underside of my car or dragging the underpan. It just takes more careful driving and it helps to carry a shovel to move high snow out of the way before driving over it.

One last note: your V6 would probably look pretty good with a used S4 setup, though it's not a dramatic drop.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

I just got H&R race springs and some RS4 reps and I live in CT. I probably wont actually get it all together til Spring, which is probably a good thing.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Tweaked;1042344]A Vida Guerra Booty drop is the best drop.

If i could have anything to do with that drop i wouldn't be worrying about my suspension....haha

Ill have to look into those s4 springs, but I really want the low look though and since the 2.8 is lacking in speed, cleaning up the sloppy handling would make driving alot more fun. Thanks for the help everyone.

peace
matt

Quick Reply: What is the best drop?