B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:12 PM
1st Gear
Default What to do?

This is a tough one. I have an 01 avant with the 2.8 in it and 140,000 on it. It has the 5 spd manual and cold weather package. The car is rust free, the interior is nice (good leather, no rips or stains and everything is there except the head unit I removed the other day to install the new one I just bought). The exterior is fair with a couple dings and a hole in the hood where I had to drill to get to my release when the cable broke. It is silver outside and black inside. I did the timing belt in the spring along with new pads. About 3 months ago I did both rear wheel bearings, new lower tie rods, new aluminum thermostat housing, h&r struts 4 tires and bought the oil pan gasket. I was driving about a week ago when I noticed my temp climbing, I pulled it over and checked the coolant which was low so I added more to it. I drove it home without any other problems. The next morning I went out and started it and it was smoking, it was a big whitish cloud and sure enough it had that sweet smell that makes your heart sink. Bad head gasket! Well here I am a week later, I got it pulled into my garage and as I stare at it stupidly I have to wonder if it is even worth it. A local car lot offered to buy it from me for $750. If I sell it I want closer to the grand that I just put in it but I don't know if I will get it. Well, what do yall think, should I keep it? Should I ditch it? Anyone want it? I know some of you have years of experience with these cars and any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

that sucks man

From what I understand, head gaskets aren't a HUGE pain to fix. A pain, yes, but not the end of the world. I would expect you could find somebody to fix it for $1,000 or so (complete guess - could be $3k, could be $500). After that, you could probably get at least $2k for it I would assume. I paid $3,500 for my 99 2.8 that sounds to be in about the same condition as yours with more miles.

just my 2 cents. best of luck.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the input, Im still up in the air on it but every little bit helps. I think I may list it for sale and see what offers i get in this condition than decide