B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What is the likeliness of plate theft with the following conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear
Question What is the likeliness of plate theft with the following conditions?

I recently observed that my front license plate has gone missing, plastic enclosure and all, leaving five unsightly holes in my already shatty looking front end. As far as I can remember, I haven't run into any walls lately that may have ripped it off, especially since the plastic enclosure was screwed on in three places and then there were two screws that held the plate and the clear, plastic cover onto it that also screwed into the bumper, so is it more likely that the screws worked loose somehow and it just kinda fell off at freeway speeds or is it more likely that someone took the time to unscrew the plate, and then had a burning desire for the plastic enclosure and unscrewed the other three screws to take that as well?

On a side note, as lousy as this front bumper is starting to look with big scratches, road rash, bent grille wires, and now five unsightly holes, I'm thinking I may just replace it all together so can anyone direct me to a website or something that may have just a regular, stock bumper (possibly even a 99.5 that has the face lift fog option on it) for a reasonable price? Or would I be better off trying to salvage something from a junkyard?

TIA,
-Justin

Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM

I would suspect theft. If it fell off, i'm sure you would have heard it hit the underside of your car as you ran over it.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

I'd guess it fell off. Just don't get how someone could use a stolen plate. Was it possibly loose before?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

stolen for sure. Maybe it was the plate holder that they wanted? either way report it the police and get new tags. You never know if they stole your plate, stole someone elses stickers and plan on using them on getaway vehicle or possibly worse.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Go check all your local Theme resturants for you plate on their walls. If you find it then sue them and settle for free chicken fingers for life.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM

i actually pulled up to my parking spot today, got out and noticed a boston red sox license plate cover on my front plate... I was like WTF .. is this my car? First thing I thought of... It was just one of my clown friends. I clearly do not like boston. Anyways I would check all the restaurants too lol. One of my friends had his plate stolen randomly, sort of recently.. its weird

Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
5th Gear

yo plates got copped bross. call the dmv

Old 09-15-2008, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear

yeah, DEF stolen....

people have been going aroudn my area stealing plates, putting them on their car, giong to the gas station, filling up their car using the pay inside option, then driving off...

the only thing the gas company can do is look at the videos and it will show the stolen plates, not their own so they will just throw them out after they get $60 in free gas, then when they are running low again they will get some new ones or possibly use the same stolen ones over again

i dont really know what gas stations can do to stop this? seems liek a pretty good idea to me haha but can get you behind bars pretty easily im sure

get this though : )

im at the library right now at my college and probably the hottest girl i have ever met was just sitting next to me and my background picture is of my a4, and she is like hey i love audi's... is it yours? and im like ha of course, what time do you get out of class? (not really expecting this to go anywhere) and she told me then gave me her number!!!! DAMN i havent broken in the back seat of my a4 yet but maybe tonights the night, this thing is paying off more and more hahaha i love college

Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by flynnr
yeah, DEF stolen....

people have been going aroudn my area stealing plates, putting them on their car, giong to the gas station, filling up their car using the pay inside option, then driving off...

the only thing the gas company can do is look at the videos and it will show the stolen plates, not their own so they will just throw them out after they get $60 in free gas, then when they are running low again they will get some new ones or possibly use the same stolen ones over again

i dont really know what gas stations can do to stop this? seems liek a pretty good idea to me haha but can get you behind bars pretty easily im sure

get this though : )

im at the library right now at my college and probably the hottest girl i have ever met was just sitting next to me and my background picture is of my a4, and she is like hey i love audi's... is it yours? and im like ha of course, what time do you get out of class? (not really expecting this to go anywhere) and she told me then gave me her number!!!! DAMN i havent broken in the back seat of my a4 yet but maybe tonights the night, this thing is paying off more and more hahaha i love college

honestly nothing is going to happen unless she is a total bucket and you're lying. I'm not trying to hate or anything but cars dont really matter, i don't know, maybe i'm wrong

Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

lol well 1) im not lying, 2) YOUR JUST JEALOUS ^^ and 3) im not giong to try anything cause i know thatd be pretty sleezy, i just started school just over a week ago and shes in one of my classes (400 people) so i didnt know her but saw her there before. but were going to work on a paper together, she seemed really nice, and not the slutty type btw

but what i was getting at was that the ice breaker was the audi... it wont be the deciding factor of weather anythign happens or not (which is what you made it seem like ha) but regardless, i love college, and CANT WAIT to get done so i can make some real money and buy a new rs4 or something (dreaming)

SORRY about changing the topic of the thread btw... regardless of if it was stolen or it just fell off get some new plates, or youll get a ticket sooner or later

Quick Reply: What is the likeliness of plate theft with the following conditions?