B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

wheel speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Default wheel speed sensor

a few weeks back i was replacing a rear wheel bearing on my 98 2.8QM. after getting everything disassembled, i couldn't get the sensor out of the hub. so rather than try to force it out...i unplugged it under the back seat and pulled the wire out. i didnt want to damage it trying to remove it, so i figured this was my best bet (and the battery was disconnected when i did this). after pressing the bearing in and putting everything back together, my ABS and Brake lights are both on. i know that this usually means that the ABS controller is bad and needs to be rebuilt. i dont have a scanner and my local garage charges like $90 just to plug into their machine. so i'm really just looking for some opinions because i dont want to pay the garage to clear the codes if its just going to come back on. and from anyones experience, is it cheaper to replace the ABS controller or to have it rebuilt, if that is in fact the problem?

thanks guys

Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

The abs-brake lights being on doesn't mean that the abs module/pump is bad neccesarily. You need to hook this thing up to a vag tool. There is a list available online of people that have vag tools and are willing to scan your car for free or small price like a sixie, etc. I forget the url, but if you google it I'm sure you can figure it out. I had abs-brake light on and the vag tool said it was d/s rear wheel speed sensor, replaced it and lights off and abs working again! If you just did bearing and moved cable around perhaps it broke inside casing or plug ... not a coincidence. I would start with that.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM

thanks. ill check into that. much appreciated

Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Site Moderator

I would definitely start with getting codes checked and cleared. Since you disconnected the plug it may have thrown a code. If the brake/abs lights are on and the vag cannot even connect to the module then the module is toast.

But, in regards to your other question - it costs approx $200 to have the module rebuilt, about $500 to replace the electronics portion of the module, $1200 to replace the entire module (pump and all... not likely necessary).