B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

?Whistling sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
1st Gear
Default ?Whistling sound

So, my car had been running pretty nice for the past few months. Yesterday, I thought I will give it some gas and see how much revs can I take it to. After I reached 5k, my gut feeling told me not to go further than that. And immediately afterwards started this loud whistling noise from engine comp. If I am pushing on gas pedal just for maintenance of a speed, there is no noise but the moment I try to accelerate (even minimal), the noise comes back and increases in volume proportionate to the acceleration. If I accelerate more, I hear another sound from front right (?Turbo) as if air is leaking or something like that!!!!
But if I am in parking and then press on gas, then the sound comes really late after keeping the gas pedal pressed for long time and doesnot sound that bad either.

I can do fair amount of stuff on cars but need help on how to diagnose things!
If I can get some idea as to what I may have blown off when trying to top the RPMs?
I did search on turbo issues but not sure how to go ahead with this problem...

Do you think if it will hurt if I keep driving in this condition for next few days?

Thanks in advance

Bix

Last edited by bixing; 05-27-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear

If it is making a sound like a dentist drill, then you need to start shopping for a new turbo.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Well lets not jump to that.

It is possible you blew a turbo, but lets look into less frightening possibilities. You could have blown off a hose, and there are a few to pick from. DV hose, IC pipe hose, N75 valve hose, etc. Your job then is to look around for blown off hoses. The IC pip runs under the bumper and will probably be the easiest to check. The others are on the passenger side of the bay, by the turbo and air box. If you're lazy, you can just do a vacuum leak check using the steps detailed in the stickies.

Next, post a video of the sound. Try to get the best quality possible. If all we can hear is wind noise we cant help you. Maybe roll along at 5mph and have your friend walk beside. Those would be the first things I'd check. Give your whole intake system a once over.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Tx man...

I will do the check up and get an audio on that sound in the next 24 hrs.

Bix

Old 05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator

When you drove the car, did you feel anything different?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM
4th Gear

My wife likes the sound of my turbo whistle. She thinks my car is whisting at her... haha. But I think Kayakman hit it on the head, you probably have a boost leak somewhere...

Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

I think the car's acceleration power has definitely decreased a lot. Also, if I continuously press gas for about 2-3 seconds, apart from loud whistling, I hear the some rattling/air leak from somewhere.
I will check the tubings and everything tonight or tomorrow morning.
In the meantime, my friend helped me record the noise. I have to find a way to convert it to some format that I can attach.

Last edited by bixing; 05-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Here is the file. It works with real player after extraction. During this time, I was trying to go upslope from 0-5mph. If you listen carefully, as the whistle gets louder, there is some rattling followed by whistle and then car stops. I stopped accelerating when I heard the rattling.

Tx

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Car noise.zip (92.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like the turbo....just my $.02 but he is right, check everything else too.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Its Good to have a boost gauge.

Quick Reply: ?Whistling sound