B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Why not put 20"s on a B5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default Why not put 20"s on a B5?

I was thinking about putting a set of twenty inch rims/wheels on my B5 A4, so I started doing my homework.

I began by searching through every Audi forum I could find, that addressed 20"s and B5 A4s.

To my surprise, I couldn't find one person who had successfully put twenties on a B5. As a matter of fact: I could only find (lots of) people seriously bashing the idea itself, saying things like: "They won't fit", "They'll rub, scrub, tear **** up", "look like ****", "Stick out" "look Ghetto" etc.. People were going so far as to post up pictures of lifted Chevy Caprice style cars on 30"s and what not. As if that's how bad a B5 would look with 20"S.

All signs pointed to the idea that the biggest I could go would be 19"s (this was also the largest wheel option available on every wheel site I checked).

Even still, all of the posts I saw about 19"s talked about how shitty the ride would be. I've had everything from 15"s all the way up to 22"s on my various vehicles through the years, so I know more than my share about ride quality on aftermarket wheels. I also know how much more expensive and rare 19" tires are than 20"s.

All of the 20 inch rim hating I saw, motivated me to attempt eliminating this "dub stigma" that seems to exist, so i did the math and came to the conclusion that it could be done successfully, w/o having to alter or sacrifice much (if anything).

Here's how it went:

I used a 235/30/ZR20 tire profile on 20"x8" wheels, keeping my overall rolling diameter within (roughly) 3mm of stock, so it only rides 3 millimeters higher than stock. This should also keep the speedometer correct.

The offset has only a 2mm difference from stock, so they don't "stick out".

As you can see: Aside from being 1" wider, the wheel specs are nearly the same as my stock wheels.

Ride quality: Even I thought the ride quality was going to be rough, especially since my car has the sport package - but to my surprise, with the correct tire pressure and new front end steering & suspension components I used, the car rides almost exactly as it did before the wheel switch (not bad at all).

As for looks: You tell me if they look "Ghetto", or whatever:

Name:  A4StandAlone-Clean_zps02a603b0.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  RearView-Half_zpscd1e4ea5.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  Rear3QuarterView_zpsd8104522.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  FrontView-Half_zps48f10708.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  StandAlone-Good_zps7d93d057.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  A4Cropped_zps99bb76a5.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  52.6 KB

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 10-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Everyone will have their own opinion, of course.
My opinion: for the most part, 19" is almost too big. I say that because some wheels can pull it off, while others... can't.

I ran 19" wheels on my B5 with 235/35/19 tires for about 8 months, as they came with the car. The car was on a mild drop (~1") with Eibach springs. Let's just put it this way: I got really good at pothole avoidance.

If you are asking for opinions, I don't think it looks right. Wheels are too big and too ostentatious for the body lines of the B5. I think the wheels demand too much attention away from the body. And honestly, I think it looks kinda like a Volvo now (particularly last pic).

At least you're pretty close to stock size (I calculate your speed would read 63.5 MPH when actually traveling 65 MPH).

Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

It looks like a lazy attempt at a donk, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Those rims are gaudy as all hell too, it's not the right look for a B5.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

I've defiantly seen worse 20s. They don't look terrible but it's not my cup of tea. I always liked 18s with a bit of a drop on b5s. I run 18x8 with 255/35/18 originally but have switched to 225/40/18 since then...better ride and the tires aren't painted on so potholes aren't as big of an issue. Also it makes the brakes look horrible (tiny). You can always tell "poser" "donk" rides with big rims...all show. I makes me think of ricers who run 100hp cars with big wheels, body kits, wings, graphics. But underneath its still a shitty ricer. Just my 2 cents. But keep in mind there's a car scene for just about everything, so while some people give you **** others will love it...and remember you opinion is the only one that matters, if you like it that's it.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
If you are asking for opinions, I don't think it looks right. Wheels are too big and too ostentatious for the body lines of the B5. I think the wheels demand too much attention away from the body. And honestly, I think it looks kinda like a Volvo now (particularly last pic).
That's wild, because the last pic is one of my favorites. I honestly think they compliment the body (and respective body lines). Interesting. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
It looks like a lazy attempt at a donk, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Those rims are gaudy as all hell too, it's not the right look for a B5.
I honestly don't understand how someone could come to a conclusion that would cause them to make this ^^^ statement. What's your geographical area (I can't see it right now). Maybe it's a regional thing.

I haven't modified anything else, other than the tint, exhaust (with the resonator, so it's not loud) and grille, but that was out of necessity). Everything else is stock. How does it seem like I'm "attempting" to do anything IYO (I'm curious)?

I'm from the deepest part of the south, where "DONKS" have existed prevalently - longer than I, or the horrible name "DONK" have.

I used to put "DONKs" to sleep with my "DONK-ish" '72 455ci Cutlass - Hand build 500hp/600fp Ziegler racing engine - everything forged) with a Turbo 400.

It was far from "A lazy attempt", but esthetically, it was definitely "loud".

See here:

Name:  CherryBomb.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  77.3 KB

Originally Posted by green2man0
I've defiantly seen worse 20s. They don't look terrible but it's not my cup of tea. I always liked 18s with a bit of a drop on b5s. I run 18x8 with 255/35/18 originally but have switched to 225/40/18 since then...better ride and the tires aren't painted on so potholes aren't as big of an issue. Also it makes the brakes look horrible (tiny). You can always tell "poser" "donk" rides with big rims...all show. I makes me think of ricers who run 100hp cars with big wheels, body kits, wings, graphics. But underneath its still a shitty ricer. Just my 2 cents. But keep in mind there's a car scene for just about everything, so while some people give you **** others will love it...and remember you opinion is the only one that matters, if you like it that's it.

I can understand opinions like the first half of your post. As for the brakes: I agree, but I'll be taking care of that soon enough (cross drilled, slotted rotors, etc.).

The absurd rice burner scene is everywhere down here, so I know what you're referring to................but how could you ever possibly put this in the same category? I have a stock Audi (Germany Luxury Car) that has 20"s - nothing else! No stickers, grapefruit-shooter exhaust system,....nothing. Just a style improvement IMHO.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 10-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

You've confirmed the "ghetto ness" but hey who cares what I think it's your car if you like it that's all that matters.

Can you post a picture of the rear end straight on? I'm trying to decide if I want to debadge it and just leave the rings like it looks like you did.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
You've confirmed the "ghetto ness" but hey who cares what I think it's your car if you like it that's all that matters.

Can you post a picture of the rear end straight on? I'm trying to decide if I want to debadge it and just leave the rings like it looks like you did.
lol. What do you mean "I've confirmed the ghrtto-ness"?

Here (I love the de-baged look, but then again, I'm "Ghetto".

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
I honestly don't understand how someone could come to a conclusion that would cause them to make this ^^^ statement. What's your geographical area (I can't see it right now). Maybe it's a regional thing.

I haven't modified anything else, other than the tint, exhaust (with the resonator, so it's not loud) and grille, but that was out of necessity). Everything else is stock. How does it seem like I'm "attempting" to do anything IYO (I'm curious)?
Massive rims, rubber band tires and ground clearance. You have 3 of the main ingredients of a donk, just not as much oft hem as a full-on donk. It just looks wrong, the proportions are all kinds of messed up. But it's your car so do what you want, this is just the opinion of a random Canadian.

Are you sure your car has the sport package? Because it looks taller than the average non-sport B5.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Massive rims, rubber band tires and ground clearance. You have 3 of the main ingredients of a donk, just not as much oft hem as a full-on donk. It just looks wrong, the proportions are all kinds of messed up. But it's your car so do what you want, this is just the opinion of a random Canadian.

Are you sure your car has the sport package? Because it looks taller than the average non-sport B5.
Ah! What part of Canada? I just got back from Montreal and I used to frequent Vancouver for years.

As for the ride height: It does have the sport package (yes: I'm sure) and the overall rolling diameter is no more than 3mm more than my stock 16" sport wheels, which is < or = to an increase of 1.5 mm in ride height. That means it's still sitting lower than a stock (non-sport) B5.

It's probably the appearance, mixed with your bias that's making it look like it's siting higher than it really is.

I am jealous of your snow tires though. lol

I'll have to get you down here so you can see what "absurd" really looks like (on DONKS and Rice Burners)! LMAO! Have you ever seen a lifted Crown Victoria with candy paint on matching chrome and colored 30" spinners? Now that's funny. The paint, wheels,or stereo are all worth more than the "Grandparents car" by themselves (individually).

My car is incredibly classy compared to most of the "hooked up" **** down here.

And for the record: I am looking for honest opinions. Good or bad, no one is hurting my feelings. I'm just baffled by this collective group opinion. It's interesting is all.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 10-24-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Personally, I would never put 20" wheels on a B5. I think 18" is the perfect size.

That said, it can obviously be done and in some cases done really well:

Name:  L3.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  142.7 KB

Your A4 is not one of those cases. I think those rimz are hideous. Nice Cutlass though.

Quick Reply: Why not put 20"s on a B5?