B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Zero Dust Performance Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
I never really considered that TT/A8 brake mod in the past, but I think I'll look into it now. Is it relatively easy to do? How much will I end up spending on all the parts, discs, pads, etc? Is it just for the front, or should I use this mod on the rear brakes too?
ECS sells the kit for $250 with the carriers and Zimmerman or ATE blank rotors (I think it's whatever is available. Both are fine and are OE quality). The pads are additional. It's as easy as replacing the brake pads and discs. Undo the carrier bolts and install the new carrier.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...rake_OEM/ES89/

As for the rear brakes, the only upgrade other than pads is an S4 rear brake upgrade. There is a write I believe on AudiWorld, but it's not a very worthwhile upgrade for a street car. The biggest difference is that you're adding a vented disc in the rear. Its a pricey modification for an outcome that will not be notable on the street. If you plan on tracking the car regularly, the larger, vented disc in the rear will help to eliminate brake fade. For this modicication, you'll need S4 Rotors, calipers, and possible rear wheel carriers, but you'll have to find the write-up to verify that. If I had the money, I'd do it. Just because. But then again, if I had the money, I would've bought an S4 to begin with.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM
2nd Gear

Great info, thanks! I think I'll actually do this.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear

Great info, thanks! I think I'll actually do this.
No problem. Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

Will do! It may be a while though. I have some other maintenance that will take priority, seeing how my pads still have plenty of material on them.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 AM
2nd Gear

For some reason I thought the stock wheels were 16's, come to find out they're 15's. So I won't be able to do this mod until I get my new wheels. I'll probably do this when my new pads need to be replaced. How long do the Hawk HPS pads last when you drive like a normal person most of the time but still get on the brakes kinda' hard every now and then? I drive about 17,000 miles a year.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear

For some reason I thought the stock wheels were 16's, come to find out they're 15's. So I won't be able to do this mod until I get my new wheels. I'll probably do this when my new pads need to be replaced. How long do the Hawk HPS pads last when you drive like a normal person most of the time but still get on the brakes kinda' hard every now and then? I drive about 17,000 miles a year.
15's are definitely tiny! I have the A8 upgrade stuffed under my 16's; it works if you use clip-on weights, but will knock off or rub stick-on weights.

HPS will last like OE, or possibly even a bit longer, provided the car doesn't see track time and you are using blank rotors.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear

Cool, thanks. I'll just go with the HPS pads first. Do all the pads (front and rear) wear at about the same rate? They seem about equal right now.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear

Cool, thanks. I'll just go with the HPS pads first. Do all the pads (front and rear) wear at about the same rate? They seem about equal right now.
It is totally driver dependent.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

Disregard my last post, both front inner pads are very worn. I will need to replace them very soon.

Only the front pads have wear sensors, right?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 AM
3rd Gear

Only the front pads have wear sensors, right?
Correct.

I goofed and ordered the wireless pads, but was certainly not about to return them in the middle of the brake job... when I realized my mistake! I made connectors using the old pads' wires to keep the light off. It's an option if you can't stand the light or are swapping out pads for the track on a regular basis. I recommend leaving it in tact if possible, but there is an easy way to cheat it.

Quick Reply: Zero Dust Performance Brake Pads?