B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

02 1.8T quattro looking to chip and replace filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 AM
1st Gear
Default 02 1.8T quattro looking to chip and replace filter

I have been looking around and reading as much as possible about doing some quick and relativly inexpensive/reliable mods for my A4.
First thing I want to do is replace the filter with a lifetime one, but I was wondering if anybody would recommend getting a cone filter and moding it or even getting a new intake. From what I understand from the newbie thread that they don't add much power at all and are mostly for sound.

For the chip I have read either the APR or GIAC. I have been looking at the APR more because there is a service center close to my house. Anyways is there a preference between the two and how do either of these chips do with reliability/longevity of the engine? Will either interfer with getting service at a dealership or otherwise? Also I read that replacing the diverter valve is a basic must with chipping, is there anything else I should replace and what brands are good for the valve? I read that APR offers one, but can't find it on their site. Is this a do at home kind of thing or should I pay for installation and how much should that run?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to throughly do my research

On a side note I was checking out the air filter and there is some sort of prefilter wire mesh in my intake that was pretty clogged and one of the grided panels had a hole in it. Do i need to replace it and if so...what is it?

FYI I use the A4 as a daily driver that will primarily be hauling people and stuff with moderately frequent long hauls. I really want to preserve the reliability at all costs, but more torque would help with my purposes.

Thanks for all the help in advanced, I am open to any and all suggestions and links to further reading

Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

Chipping your car is the most effective way of raising the hp/tourque in the B6 1.8T's. It will, and this is an overused saying, feel like a new car. And be much more efficient and JUST AS RELIABLE as stock to boot!
Doing the big injector program will give you about 10hp and 30-40 more lb.ft. of torque over the basic flash, too...so thats something to consider as well.
As far as CAI's go, go with a K&N and call it the day if alls you want is better flow. Doing a cone filter looks cooler and sounds a little bit better, but yields nothing as far as performance goes. Might even hurt with heat soak if not properly shielded from the heat of the turbo. Thats up to you.

A new DV is worth doing, too. There's lots of choices...Forge, Bailey Motorsports, APR. Anyone of those will be better than stock...but be forewarned...the stock DV and clamps are a bitch to get off.
If you want the BOV sound, try a Forge SPLT-R. Does both DV and BOV functions.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

demea, I agree with you completely except the K&N part. From what I have read across the board it produces power loss and can hurt the car with the filter oil getting all over sensors.

If you are looking for zero-maintenance, go with the Carbonio CAI ($350~ unless you get a deal) or leave it stock; Chip it with APR Stage 1 ($500) (or Stage 1+ if you do injectors, +$400 more), and the APR R1 Diverter Valve ($150) as it is a diaphragm based DV and does not need the continual maintenance of a piston based (Forge) DV. I have the Carbonio, it sounds nice, looks nice, fit easy, and it gives a great placebo effect. I would recommend, as a base, start with the Chip (or Chip/Injectors, have to be done at the same time), Diverter Valve (stock won't hold, for long), and go from there. It's what I am now saving up to do, I made the mistake of getting the Carbonio first (though I am not complaining, just the wrong order for what I wanted).

Just do what feels right and fits the budget. I have a girlfriend to report to, so my budget is significantly smaller than most Audi owners but Chip/Injectors/DV is my next step.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

hey thanks for the responses, a couple questions i have regarding them though

How long is "not long" in reference to the life of the stock diverter valve with chip. Let's say on a scale of 1 to 10 how important it is to get a new dv and how quickly. I was under the impression they were cheaper than 160, but if it's a must then I have the money for it.

For the filter, can anyone else chime in and tell me if the k&n actualy decreases power/disturbs the intake sensors? I haven't read this elsewhere, but seems pretty important to look into. I don't believe I think a chip and filter will be the extent of my upgrades for my audi, just wanted to make it a little more usable and fun so the carbonio is a little overkill.

Lastly, should I take this to an apr distributer to install or is it pretty easy at home install? I am pretty handy, but when it comes to the car I would prefer to hand it off if it isn't very straight foward.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear

Nobody knows, some people run with stock dv for months, some cant make a day with it.
You dont need to buy any aftermarket DV's, you can always buy 710N (OEM from tt 225) for like $35 from a dealer.
The thing about all those aftermarket filters is OIL in them, at least i most of them. Our cars have MAF sensor, so if it gets dirty from all that oil, you might get a CEL and poor performance.If u want just a sound- put a coine filter in + heatshield.
You CANT put a chip (flash) by yourself, anything else is pretty easy- there are a lot of DIY's also.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

Yes, sorry for not being clearer. The oil in the K&N can screw things up, I have nothing but respect for K&N Filters in any other application, or on other cars. You need to get a dry filter. I went with Carbonio, simply because I had the money at the time and it seemed like a simple install (and it is). I'm horrible with custom work, so pre-fab was a must for me. Same reason its going to cost me out the @$$ for an exhaust. But, if you have the ability, you should be able to custom up some love for your A4.

I recommend the APR R1 DV, as if you need reliability, from what I've seen, that's where its at. I haven't used the Forge piston based DV/BOVs, so this is just IMO/what-I've-heard, but I guess they need you to select the right spring and it needs more general maintenance. As with all my posts, please correct me where I am wrong, because if I'm spreading information that's wrong, that's bad for everyone.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Cool

I have a stock engine right now in my '04 B6 and that makes me eager to toy with it

Originally Posted by Sublime865
I have a girlfriend to report to, so my budget is significantly smaller than most Audi owners
Only problem is that im on a tight budget right now due to college and, and as sublime put so well, a gf too hahaha.

Im sure that this is a repeat of soo many other posts, and i apologize in advance!! Is a Carbonio intake worth the high cost? What gains can be seen from it alone, or is it intended to be more effective with a chipping-combo kinda deal?

I've read up on some newb guides and APR chipping seems the popular choice on B6's due to its extensive support, reliability and where the power band is changed. But while chipping a car adds untouched power, does it decrease the gas mileage? (with the same driving style before/after)

Lastly, my audi is just about to break the dreaded 30k mile mark and with all this unreliable stock DV talk, it makes me feel like i need to change it asap before i do anything else. True/Fase?

I know i have alot of questions, but Thank you in advance!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
3rd Gear

Carbonio might give u 3hp or so... APR has very big market and their development center. Basically these are the main players: APR/REVO/GIAC and now Unitronics, i think MTM also makes stuff for b6

Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

hey thanks again for the clarifacations.
I have very much the same pre-fab mentality as Sublime and I need assured reliability considering how i use my car so I don't really want to try my hand at the cone filter, and the carbonio is just way too much for an intake imo

So in addition to you guys mentioning the filter oil may mess with the maf, is there a fourth option for a drop in dry filter other than just a stock replacement?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

I think the stock Audi filter is actually quite amazing, judging by the fact that a $300+ cold air intake gives you "up to" 3HP gain. Not that it isn't a worthwhile upgrade, but from my understanding of the general opinion on these forums, the stock intake is more than adequate for basic chipping and small mods like that. If you get into bigger turbos, all bets are off, and the Carbonio has the stuff for that, like mounting dimensions and such.

I would do the diverter valve (you can do blow off valve too, but I don't want to start a flame war =P ), get some copper core plugs (dissipates heat faster, heat=faster coilpack death), and carry some spare coilpacks in your trunk. The Carbonio is optional, as well as the TT225 injectors. I'm doing injectors as 10HP+ and 10-15ft-lb+ is worth the $325 to me. Bigger injectors *let* you get less fuel economy, but under normal driving, they dont change much (again, so I have heard). I'm looking forward to dumping my mileage down to less than 3MPG. I have gotten it to 6~MPG Stock lol

Quick Reply: 02 1.8T quattro looking to chip and replace filter