B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

'02 3.0L Hints, Tips, Tricks and Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
1st Gear
Default '02 3.0L Hints, Tips, Tricks and Q's

Well, I finally just made my jump from a '98 1.8T A4 to an '02 3.0L A4 last week. Unfortunately, it did not come with a manual. F...

So, I'm wondering if any fellow 3.0L or even 1.8T owners could help me out with a few questions and confusions I have with controls and buttons and such found about the car.

First off, the trip computer. I figured out where the reset button was and the rocker on the right stalk, but can't seem to figure out a few of the screens. My assumptions are the first screen shows the MPG you're getting at your current speed or whatever. I think the second screen shows the time you've been driving or since you last hit the reset button. The next few I couldn't figure out though. There is a screen that has a number in miles I believe that doesn't seem to change very often, and then two more I think that show a number in MPG, but one also has like a small "o" with a line through it as well. Are these numbers for MPG total since last reset?

Second, there are 3 buttons on the driver's door by the door cubby slot. One is the rear trunk release, but the two buttons above the trunk release I'm not totally sure about. One looks like the car driving up a hill, the other I'm not sure what it means.

And third, the auto-climate control. What does the "Econ" button do or used for? The other I saw was the button with same symbol as the internal air circulation button, but it had a small letter "A" by it. Is this an automatic button so when the outside air is of poor quality or something, it automatically shifts to circulate the air in the cabin?

I think I have a few other Q's about the radio controls, but I'll have look at it again tomorrow and remember what all the buttons where and which ones are a mystery to me.

Anyone out there that suffered through this long *ss post, any info would be superb and greatly appreciated.

And please, spare me the "3.slow," "exchange it for 1.8t," or "you know there are virtually no mods for the 3.0L right?" remarks. I love this car and don't plan on doing any mods or anything like that. It's an awesome commuter car which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks all!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 PM
1st Gear
Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

The button with the car going up hill is for if (or when) you get the car towed. It prevents the alarm from going off when the car is moved. I don't know what the other button is for

Last edited by Rolling Blackout; 03-30-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rolling Blackout
"Second, there are 3 buttons on the driver's door by the door cubby slot. One is the rear trunk release, but the two buttons above the trunk release I'm not totally sure about. One looks like the car driving up a hill, the other I'm not sure what it means."
The button with the car going up hill is for if (or when) you get the car towed. It prevents the alarm from going off when the car is moved. I don't know what the other button is for

Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

Phew. That link to the other forum was quite invaluable!

I guess the other button right above the trunk release is to turn off the motion sensor for inside the car when it its locked. Say if you had a pet inside while you run inside the store or something, you flip this switch before you get out and lock the car, and the dog or pet inside won't set off your alarm.

Well that knocked out a few questions.

Still a bit in the dark with the different screens on the trip computer.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
4th Gear

the number with the o and slash is the average MPG read out. The MPG without the slash is the instant which isnt fully accuate. The buttons on the side of the door are when u park on a hill it wont throw the sensor off or u jack ur car up u need to turn this button off. And the other is to turn off the motion sensors in our car. For the dog or cat.