B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

04 A4 1.8T ESP light on after Tbelt change

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
1st Gear
Default 04 A4 1.8T ESP light on after Tbelt change

Hello, I have 63k on my 04 1.8T A4 and just changed the timing belt /waterpump as maintainece this weekend. I disconnected the battery and when I got it back up and running, the esp light came on. I drove it 4 miles and it is still on?? Any one have any ideas? NO MIL CODES OR ANYTHING???

chris

Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

that light stays on for a while (up to 30 miles) after disconnecting the battery. Give it some more time.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info...I plan on taking on a 80 mile round trip tomorrow to see if it goes out...I'll let everyone know what happens.....

If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know

thanks,

Chris

Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 AM
1st Gear

Hello, put first leg of my 100 mile trip and the light is still on.....anyone have any thoughts???? I have a Innova scan tool but I don't think it will check or clear an ESP light?

Also, what is the factory set idle speed on the 1.8T AMB engine. Is it 800 rpm? Mine is set at 800 rpm and I notice that the car slightly "Vibrates" at this idle speed....when I slightly raise the RPM to 1000 rpm it gets smooth.

any thoughts???

thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
2nd Gear

Have you tried to pull the codes? Have you tried pushing the ESP button again since you've been driving?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

Yes, no codes present......I did try numerous times to push the ESP button while driving...nothing happened...HELP!!!!

I am afraid of bringing it to the stealership!

Chris

Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

About the vibration, it could be a lot of things. First, seafoam the intake manifold by allowing a vac line to suck in the seafoam. This smoothed my idle out, and I would guess your IM is dirty with that mileage. When you run the car after the seafoam sits for a few minutes have someone rev the motor to 4-5k revs to build boost. While this is done watch in the engine bay for smoke coming out anywhere, this will show vacuum leaks. The motor mounts are also known to wear out, as well as the snub mount. Also, my 3 way crankcase breather is broken right now and my mech said that would give a rough idle so check that too (it's under the IM towards the back, if it's broken there will be oil around.

That should keep you busy for a little while! Also, I wouldn't worry about the ESP yet. Did it ever do that before? Keep driving it and push the ESP button occasionally once at a time in case you have toggled it off while you pushed it last time.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info....So what does your car idle at? Is 800 rpm good or should it be 1,000? Also, since there is no throttle cable, is there a base idle setting mechanically or does the computer set the base throttle angle/speed? Also, as mentioned earlier, I just did a timing belt change, could it be due to something with the timing belt change?? maybe a tooth off?

I plan on putting another 50+ miles on this today, let's hope and pray that the ESP light goes out...(Yes, I too have been trying to press tHE esp light multiple times while driving to make it reset...to no avail...)

If I can't get it to clear by weekend, I guess I'll just have to bring it to a dealer....

Thanks,

Old 02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Is there just a little vibration? If you were a tooth off it would be worse than that. My car idles at about 800 too.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

yes, it has a very slight vibration....As soon as I touch the gas pedal to 1,000 rpm it goes away...smooth as silk. I have owned vw's before and know that they have a chronic problem with motor mounts....I just didn't know if that's what this is... or if its normal....

thanks for your feedback

Quick Reply: 04 A4 1.8T ESP light on after Tbelt change