B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2002 A4 - Where is "comfort module"? -> Trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A4 - Where is "comfort module"? -> Trunk won't open

02 A4 1.8T - Trunk won't open. Searched past posts and found only a single thread.

One suggestion was the lock itself which may be the case. But the OP of that thread (house4sale2) found that if he "shorted the comfort module" that functionality returned to the trunk release mechanism. I thought I'd try that prior to buying a new lock/mechanism.

(Unfortunately house4sale2 hasn't logged on since september so I don't think he'd see a PM).

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 2002 A4 - Where is "comfort module"? -> Trunk won't open

The comfort control module is under the carpet on the driver's side in a black box.
Thats probably not gonna fix your problem though, every trunk problem i ever had with either opening or closing has been the electrical contacts in the trunk latch itself. In other words you need to replace the latch thats attached to the trunk lid. The panel on the trunk lid has to come off then there is two 10mm nuts and two cables holding it in place.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2002 A4 - Where is "comfort module"? -> Trunk won't open

Thanks for the info. Any idea how much a latch costs and if there are any places I can buy it that are not audi dealerships?

Where can I find the part number for this?

Much appreciated.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2002 A4 - Trunk won't open - Solution inside

In case anyone else is searching for this problem.

My situation: 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro. Trunk stopped opening via fob, cockpit remote, and trunk "button". You could still hear the little solenoid firing but nothing happened. I was able to use my physical key to open the trunk.

Solution: The solenoid is held to the trunk lid with two screws. One had loosened and the motor moved less then a quarter inch. Take the trunk lid trim piece out, push the motor back into position (obvious when you see it) and tighten the screws.

I took pictures, a video, and wrote up some instructions if anybody wants to see details.

Luckily I did not have to replace any parts (some suggested the motor and others the comfort module). Thanks everyone who helped.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 AM

4aidua,

The same thing is happening to me: can't open trunk with the remote release on key fob nor inside front driver door.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Woah, woah, woah. Before buying any parts you may not need, make sure your trunk isn't in valet-mode.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM

How do I know if it's in "valet-mode"?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

The Owner's Manual goes into detail about this. You can have your trunk lock (hidden above the license plate) positioned a certain way so that valet drivers can't open the trunk from your car door and FOB. All you have to do is place the key in that lock and twist it the opposite way that it is currently set to. I purchased my car with the valet-mode on and thought something was broken for the longest time. Thankfully I discovered this was the issue and didn't spend any money trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Sillert - I'm not sure if you are asking a question or just saying the same thing happened to you. If the former, check out what I wrote. Do you still hear the solinoid operating when you press the FOB button or at the trunk itself? If so and you have confirmed it is NOT the "valet mode" thing, then look at my solution. It took minutes to do it and was an easy fix. I can send pics if you are interested but you'll need to send me your email address.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 4aidua
In case anyone else is searching for this problem.

My situation: 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro. Trunk stopped opening via fob, cockpit remote, and trunk "button". You could still hear the little solenoid firing but nothing happened. I was able to use my physical key to open the trunk.

Solution: The solenoid is held to the trunk lid with two screws. One had loosened and the motor moved less then a quarter inch. Take the trunk lid trim piece out, push the motor back into position (obvious when you see it) and tighten the screws.
This was my problem. Thanks for the info it worked like a charm!

For those wondering, on my B6 there were only 2 screws holding the trunk trim in place. One is open to the air, and one is hiding underneath the plastic cover for the manual trunk release.

Thanks 4aidua

Last edited by phi11ip; 12-22-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added quote as it was not clear who I was replying to

Quick Reply: 2002 A4 - Where is "comfort module"? -> Trunk won't open