B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2004 Audi A4 1.8T problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 Audi A4 1.8T problems

Hello I bought a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T from auction and have been getting it repaired. It had front bumper issues but I am having other problems now. I read a thread of common problems and I guess some of them deal with me but I would like to list them and maybe get some of everyone's expertise.

1. Drivers side window rolls down but sometimes wont roll up or stutters rolling up.
2. A constant humming sound, I believe its the fuel pump.
3. The center console lid is in good condition but the clips are broken to attach it and the glove department hinge on the right side is also broke. Good ways to fix it or places to replace it?
4. Finally a good place to go to get a front license plate bracket as I currently have nothing there and don't want to get pulled over because of it.

I appreciate any and every piece of advise given. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

1. sounds like window regulator, theres a DIY stickied

2. the humming could be coming from your alternator, if you have a custom system installed that could be the cause, in this case, get a little wire and hook it around all your RCAs in the back of your head unit to ground them better. i had this issue and it fixed it, dont waste your time trying to move the RCAs to the other side of the car.

3. both my clips were broken, my dad ended up making custom brackets for the glove box, didnt seem that hard and now it works like a charm. i havent fixed my latch on the arm rest yet because it doesnt bother me much but i would imagine some JB Weld would do the trick just fine, you can find it at autozone or advance auto parts.

4. just drill holes, its not worth paying $50 for a bracket unless you're into wasting money, watch out though because the front plate will hang weird unless you drill in all 4 holes, i only did 2 and now my front plate looks good from the front but kind of curls from the side, also the bumper will push out a bit so you might want to use some washers to create a little space between the plate and the bumper.

hope this helps!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

I appreciate your responses, it is beyond helpful. Thank You.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

Was the humming noise the fuel pump? I have the same issue.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

Isn't dirty fuel filter also make humming sound?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kchao2000
Isn't dirty fuel filter also make humming sound?
That is what I'm hoping. Just looking for a definitive answer before I buy it. Although it is inexpensive, comparatively.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, typically a humming noise coming from the back seat area at idle is a clogged fuel filter. If you don't replace the fuel filter soon, the fuel pump will fail and then you have a major repair to do.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

I was told at the dealership that the fuel pump is electronic and usually makes that humming sound. Sounds like everyone has this issue.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by USN_BMW22
I was told at the dealership that the fuel pump is electronic and usually makes that humming sound. Sounds like everyone has this issue.
Time to find a new repair shop. My fuel pump doesn't make humming noises. Everything I've read about this humming noise has always been either a clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump about to go.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear

iirc it is the pump that makes the sound-but as a result of a clogged filter. the pump has to work harder to maintain a constant flow so the humming is the sound of it straining

Quick Reply: 2004 Audi A4 1.8T problems