B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2004 B6 Overheating / Fans not working issue

Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi Cooling Issue

wrong thread, you may need to start a new one....

or google....

Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Thought I'd update this as solved, definitely was the fan control module.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

I have a audi a4 1.8t 2002 and my fans are working dying my battery when my car is not working and cold. I had a coolant temp sensor fault pop up, but erased and havent poped up again. But still the fans are working , changing speeds, when the car is turned off. I have to disconnect the fan control module from its power every time. the temp gauge seems stable and correct. Is it the coolant temp sensor or the control unit?
I had the thermostat changed a year ago.

Last edited by drniikos; 05-10-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drniikos
I have a audi a4 1.8t 2002 and my fans are working dying my battery when my car is not working and cold. I had a coolant temp sensor fault pop up, but erased and havent poped up again. But still the fans are working , changing speeds, when the car is turned off. I have to disconnect the fan control module from its power every time. the temp gauge seems stable and correct. Is it the coolant temp sensor or the control unit?
I had the thermostat changed a year ago.
Relay in the ecu box for sure, ecu box under the hood next to the battery

Old 05-11-2014, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

today it didnt it again, but after 30min the car was not working.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jafferman
Relay in the ecu box for sure, ecu box under the hood next to the battery
yeah but the relay wouldnt give an check engine indication?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

my relay which was used as the #219 , which labeled as 208 and the pins was trimmed to fit!! the previous owner cared much about his car!

Attached Thumbnails 2004 B6 Overheating / Fans not working issue-img_20140512_171605b.jpg  
Old 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 4ringking
We charge $$ per hour for the info that is in this post

read the post again.... the answer is in here

You need a FAN Control Module
My fans do not turn on, during idle or stopped the AC gets hot.
I replaced the fan control module and I am still having the same problem,
HELP

Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TX3Day
I have a similar problem with the exception that OCCASIONALLY my fans will actually start running AFTER I have shut the car off and started to walk away. Unfortunately i can not tell you whether or not the check engine light is on because of this issue... its been lit up for awhile now because of the cat. On cool days, the AC runs just fine (when moving) and the water temp needle never strays beyond the middle mark even at idle... but now that its getting hot down here its getting dang uncomfortable sitting at idle and very unnerving when the coolant starts to rise if i dont get moving quick enough! So... your opinion would still be the fan control module (with my exception of the occasional fan running) ?

Thank you in advance for your input. You guys are awesome. Wish i had an Audi mechanic in my part of the world that I could actually trust that they knew what they are doing.
I've had the same problem months ago. Been driving with it for months. I had had to restart the car to shut the fan off or else it will drain the battery...
After turning the internet pages for three days. I came across people saying maybe water got accumulated in the ECU or it could be the fan module system playing tricky. It was neither BOTH.
It wasn't until I got it right with the help of someone through the Internet. It's simple temperature sensor replacement the green one (G62) which is located in between the engine and the passenger side body. I went through hell to get it replaced at first. It's advisable to change it in every six months. I got it changed a month ago again just to be on the road feeling good. It's cheap to get the part but tricky to get it replaced. Don't waste your time doing other things just get it replaced and your problem is solved... Cheers

Old 07-31-2015, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Exuberantt
I've had the same problem months ago. Been driving with it for months. I had had to restart the car to shut the fan off or else it will drain the battery...
After turning the internet pages for three days. I came across people saying maybe water got accumulated in the ECU or it could be the fan module system playing tricky. It was neither BOTH.
It wasn't until I got it right with the help of someone through the Internet. It's simple temperature sensor replacement the green one (G62) which is located in between the engine and the passenger side body. I went through hell to get it replaced at first. It's advisable to change it in every six months. I got it changed a month ago again just to be on the road feeling good. It's cheap to get the part but tricky to get it replaced. Don't waste your time doing other things just get it replaced and your problem is solved... Cheers
Hello! Believe it or not, I still haven't got around to fixing this issue. I am going to order the sensor today and will post an update once I get it installed. Thank you so much for the advice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 B6 Overheating / Fans not working issue