B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

50K service q's, new owner, new to forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Default 50K service q's, new owner, new to forum

I have an '03 A4 that just hit 50K miles. The last service was done @ 30K under warrant from the previous owner. The warrant has since expired. My questions are the following...

First, is it absolutely necessary to bring to an Audi Dealership? I've read a few posts implying that "stealerships" essentially charge you an arm and a leg for an oil change. My family hasa trusted mechanic. With that being said, I'm not sure how willing I am to bring a foreign car tohim.

How much does the service typically cost?

Also, I already have to replace windshield wipers. I tried to buy them at an auto parts store but they didn't have them, stating that that's how audi "gets you" and they charge you $40 when you bring it in. Anysuggestions wherei can buy them online or another retailer?

Lastly, twice over the last few months the low oil light has come on and I've had to refill my oil. There doesn't appear to be any sort of leak. Any ideas of why my engine is burning through so much oil?

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 50K service q's, new owner, new to forum

If you're at 50k and have had no service since 30k, I'm pretty sure that's bad..You should have had atleast one oil change in there (I think?). I'd check your book to see when it should have been serviced.

As for the wipers, yeah the dealer will have the right ones. I don't know of any place to find them cheaper. (maybe e-bay). I believe ECS Tuning sells aero wipers but those are alot more, like $100.

The dealer will be able to tell you how much they'll charge you for the service.

Also you might want to post the excessiveoil consumption question in the "General Tech" https://www.audiforums.com/forumid_233/tt.htmarea where a Tech might be more likely to see it.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

yeah, the oil thing is going to be a serious problem... When is the last time the oil was changed?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 AM

i've had two oil changes b/w the 30 - 50K mark. i was just implyign that the "full service was not done last since 30K. I'm assuming you recommend going to the dealership then?"

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

On the wipers, I had mine go bad in freezing drizzle about a week after I bought mine. I stopped at an Auto Zone, I'm pretty sure it was Anco refills that the guy behind the counter got for me. He even removed the the blade assembly from the car installed the refills and put back on the car. $20 bucks and that included tip.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

I am a first time owner but about the going through oil thing, the dealership said that on the turbo if you dont use synthetic oil the enginge will burn up the oil much quicker requiring top offs every no and then.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 PM

All 1.8t engines MUST use synthetic oil. If you're using regular dino oil, it will cook the turbo. The dealer uses Castrol Syntec 5w30, but factory fill for the B6 1.8t's is Mobil 1 0w40. Personally, I do all my own oil changes, rather than having the stealership rape me on the price of an oil change. Another downside to using regular dino oil, is if your engine dies due to sludge buildup, the dealer will not warranty the engine. Audi has issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) regarding oil sludge in the 1.8t engine, and will warranty it against sludge, BUT you have to show proof of all oil changes. Otherwise they don't know what you've been putting in the engine, and at what intervals. Do a search for "oil sludge". You'll find lots of stuff on the topic. The Audi service book recommends oil changes every 10k miles using synthetic, but the majority of us change our oil every 5k.

You might also want to consider doing a Seafoam treatment to your car. Use the search button, and you'll find lots of info about Seafoam, including DIY's.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Does anybody know how much the 50K services run@ the dealership? I would just like to be prepared b/c I'm afraid this could get expensive if there's a big problem relatedto my oil.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Be sure that you have documentation for EVERY oil change. My B-6 is nearing 110,000 miles and I recently had an oil sludge problem. Dealership took me for a ride when he charged me $3500.00 to correct the issue per the TSB. Seems that the TSB indicates that so long as all the factory services were performed, the motor warranty gets extended to unlimited mileage and 8 years from date of initial purchase. So I have faxed all my invoces from all the services, and Audishould reimburse me for the expense. So far as the stealership, I am no fan, but if you can prove that they serviced it, you are covered (just waiting for the official reply). Services run between $70 and $700 depending on mileage (not including any problems discovered). If someone else performs the service, be sure to save all the receipts and have the exact service documented on the receipt, that way there is no question. And if someone hasn't said this to you yet, be sure to do an oil and filter change EVERY 3000 to 5000 miles, despite what the service interval is. That way, you can avoid the dreaded sludge!