B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 3.0 Timing Belt help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: A4 3.0 Timing Belt help

The ribbed belt is the serpintine belt, (the one you CAN see)
You should just change that when doing the timing belt.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 PM

The timing belt on the 1.8t is much easier to get to & change, that's why the TB change on the 1.8t is much cheaper than the 3.0L. $3k is about right for a TB change on the 3.0 engine.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Ya all u guys are wrong sorry, except for auditech79, no u cant tell, you have to do it every 80k miles, the belt in the front that you can see is the serpertine belt, the timing belt is behind in the engine you cant see it, you have to take the whole front off, replace all Timing Belt parts rollers, ect. Also make sure you get a new serpertine belt tentioner. change your serpertine belt also, go to www.ecstunning.com or www.puremotorsport.comand get timing belt kit and serpertine belt tentioner not included. they also have to flush your coolant so do it at the same time. job cost parts if u get them around $1000 at your local shop make sure there for foreign vehicles and there certified.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: monkey323i

How much is it to change Timing Belt for B6 3.0 engine?

I did some search.
some ppl said they got quote from dealer from $2600USD,
some said they got quote from independent shop for only $1200 USD??

thatz a big difference, just wondering wutz the normal cost around usually.

Thanks!!!
You'll NEVER find a shop that can do a 3.0L timing belt for less than $2,500, if they quote you less its because they haven't done one yet and they don't know any better. They would end up calling you asking for more money. $3,000+ is standard pricing for a T belt and water pump on the 3.0L engine. Anyone else that says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

How come some ppl with B6 3.0L got quot from AUDI dealership for only under $2,000 ??

https://www.audiforums.com/m_829775/tm.htm

"I'm experiencing the following with my 2002 Audi A4 3.0 82000 miles:

*Check engine light ON- flashes (stays still @ times)
*Hood light- blinks as though the hood is not closed; however it is. (I think this is a broken sensor?)
*Service Light ON- abt a week now

I'm taking the Audi to the dealership 1st thing in the morning. Irequested a service which I was quoted $450 and the service manager suggestedto get a timing belt joband oil changeinstead.....ONLY $1900. The service manager advised that he has seen too many times were the timing belt breaks before the ownermanuals suggested replace.He also suggested that I get a service @ 90,000 instead. "

Old 03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: monkey323i

How much is it to change Timing Belt for B6 3.0 engine?

I did some search.
some ppl said they got quote from dealer from $2600USD,
some said they got quote from independent shop for only $1200 USD??

thatz a big difference, just wondering wutz the normal cost around usually.

Thanks!!!
You'll NEVER find a shop that can do a 3.0L timing belt for less than $2,500, if they quote you less its because they haven't done one yet and they don't know any better. They would end up calling you asking for more money. $3,000+ is standard pricing for a T belt and water pump on the 3.0L engine. Anyone else that says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.
Dude. I am scared. Thats a lot. Now I see why you hate the 3.0 so much... the whole front end to change the belt??? Pulling the engine sounds like the only other option, which sounds just as bad.

I have a 2003 3.0 with 46k miles, belts look fine IMO, is there a time fram to change? Or just wait till 80k?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Site Moderator

Look, i'll make this simple for everyone.

A) Dealers really are stupid, i know because we all go to the same year round schools to learn about new models and electrical systems. I've met people from all over the country and i think about 90% of them were complete retards!

B) The 3.0L engine has only been around since 2002, which means most of them are just now getting to the 90K range, which means were only just starting our 3.0L timing belt rampage. The 2.8L timing belt rampage is over, (the gravy belt as we call it) and now the belt from hell (3.0L) is coming about.

C) Most service managers and service writers don't have a F-ing clue what they are talking about, they will just spit out a number to you to get you in the damn door! Once they realize the 2.8L is not the same as the 3.0L they will up the price another $1,000!!!!!!! You people are living in a f(cking fantasy land if you think your gonna get a timing belt for less than $2,500 on a 3.0L!

D) DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 90K TO DO THE BELT!!!!! Before i left the dealer i did 6 sets of 3.0L cylinder heads from snapped timing belts in the 90K range. Wanna know what the repair bill for that was? Try $8,000+, and thats only if the pistons aren't damaged!!!!

So if you can really find a shop thats willing to do a 3.0L timing belt for less than $2,500 make sure they know what they are talking about and actually have the special tools to do the job. Im quite sure you can find the shop that will charge less than $2,000, but you never know what your really getting, like are they leaving the thermostat in there, did they change the rollers, or water pump? Just be cautious of any price lower than i have instructed, and do the belt when it reaches 80K, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man.

Is the 2.0T or the 3.2 for that matter any easier? I have not looked in the engine bay of either...

Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Look, i'll make this simple for everyone.

A) Dealers really are stupid, i know because we all go to the same year round schools to learn about new models and electrical systems. I've met people from all over the country and i think about 90% of them were complete retards!

B) The 3.0L engine has only been around since 2002, which means most of them are just now getting to the 90K range, which means were only just starting our 3.0L timing belt rampage. The 2.8L timing belt rampage is over, (the gravy belt as we call it) and now the belt from hell (3.0L) is coming about.

C) Most service managers and service writers don't have a F-ing clue what they are talking about, they will just spit out a number to you to get you in the damn door! Once they realize the 2.8L is not the same as the 3.0L they will up the price another $1,000!!!!!!! You people are living in a f(cking fantasy land if you think your gonna get a timing belt for less than $2,500 on a 3.0L!

D) DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 90K TO DO THE BELT!!!!! Before i left the dealer i did 6 sets of 3.0L cylinder heads from snapped timing belts in the 90K range. Wanna know what the repair bill for that was? Try $8,000+, and thats only if the pistons aren't damaged!!!!

So if you can really find a shop thats willing to do a 3.0L timing belt for less than $2,500 make sure they know what they are talking about and actually have the special tools to do the job. Im quite sure you can find the shop that will charge less than $2,000, but you never know what your really getting, like are they leaving the thermostat in there, did they change the rollers, or water pump? Just be cautious of any price lower than i have instructed, and do the belt when it reaches 80K, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

oh no!!! so basically all of B6 3.0 ppl are going to pay around $25 to $3K for timing belt service.
while 1.8T ppl only pay $1,200...

sigh... looks like i hav to start saving $ for my timing belt service $3000....

just rebuilt my transmission 3 monthes ago (replace torque-converter), $3300

brake service due soon (another $600)

tire almost out (another $600)

plus some minor filter, oil change, etc...

so my A4 maintenance cost in this year will be over $8000 USD!!!!

oh well.....

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 3.0AmuletA4

Thanks man.

Is the 2.0T or the 3.2 for that matter any easier? I have not looked in the engine bay of either...
The 2.0T and 3.2L are easier to work on yes, but they are still pretty difficult to work on.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a 03 3.0L about a week ago.....after reading all of this, I think I might put it up for sale....thats way to much $$$$ for service.

Quick Reply: A4 3.0 Timing Belt help