B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 Cranks, Hard Time Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation A4 Cranks, Hard Time Starting

03 a4 1.8t, 82k miles

About 2 months ago, I noticed it was having a little bit more difficult of a time starting than i thought it should. I just told myself I'd get a tune up soon.

Well I never did, partly because it seemed to start alright most of the time.

However about 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on at a seemingly random time. I didn't have any trouble starting the car, and it was running normal.

When I got diagnostic, they told me it was the cam sensor, P0341, quick fix. They replaced the sensor and called me back, said it didn't fix anything.

Then they told me it was the timing belt. They wanted $1500 so I decided to just pay them $95 for diagnostic and find another shop to take it to.

I found a shop that would do timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc parts+labor for $550 so I took it there on friday, and it's currently there.

They replaced the timing belt, still p0341, and starting issues. ran diagnostic themselves, Double checked timing, confirmed everything is in it's correct position. Also tried replacing cam sensor, once again that didn't fix it.

Now if you've read this far I really appreciate your time. This is my first posting here so I'm not sure if all the details were necessary. My only question is this, Is it possible that it could be something else? Since the moment the engine light came on I've been researching the starting issues. I've seen some who had to replace the coolant sensor, and even the speed sensor.

SO please, what would be any other possibilities for the p0341 error and trouble starting?

**I just read auditech79's posting on "common problems + repairs". #5 about the 5-8 second humming at startup applies to me. Would fuel filter have anything to do with the starting issue?

Last edited by Jakov89; 09-05-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: *read a posting on "common issues"
Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Come on guys, I really need your help. The shop still has my car. They just can not seem to figure it out either. They've taken it apart time and time again to check timing, and they say it hasnt gone out of timing once.

the only diagnostic code coming up is p0341. the mechanic said it wont start 9 out of 10 tries. he said when it does start, it purrs like a kitten, no rough idle or anything. he said driving it around youd never think there was a problem, it has plenty of low end power, torque, etc.

what could it be?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 PM

maybe the crankshaft sensor

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Honestly, yes, a super clogged fuel filter can not only cut off fuel, but burn your pump up.. This happened to me. I had a strange humm noise comming from the back of my car, gas tank area. At first, there was just that noise, and that was it. Then it progressed to the car having troubles starting and staying started. I was told that if I replaced the $50 filter, then I would have saved the $250 water pump.
Basically, with a clogged filter, it is like trying to push a football through a garden hose...

Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCAudi
maybe the crankshaft sensor
thank you ccaudi, but that was actually the part i meant when i said cam sensor.. i just used the wrong term.

well i got the car back yesterday, finally. still has trouble starting, but it runs really well from the timing belt replacement.. sometimes it starts first try, sometimes it takes 4 or 5 tries. sometimes it starts normally, sometimes it has a stutter to starting, itll go to 200/300 rpm, then 500rpm, then 1200rpm as usual, until its settled down just below 1000rpm.

the only consistency, is that it generally starts easier in colder temperatures.

the shop determined it has got to be an electrical issue. so im going to have to go to the dealership for a lookover, and ecu check.

i will definitely replace my fuel filter asap though, i dont hear the humming everytime i start the car, but i heard it once earlier today so it reminded me.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Default another idea

Check your fuel injectors.. How they work is by opening and closing.. Over time, they will stay stuck open and bleed the pressure out of your fuel line.. You may notice that once you crank and it seems to catch and then drop RPM's and you hit the gas, the engine will respond just fine.. If that is the case, my money is on clogged fuel injectors.. But do not get the add-in crap.. Actually take them out and clean them, or have a pro do it.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Outcome

Hi, I am having the same problem and keen to know what the outcome was? Did they fix it and how :-) My problem appears to be when the car is hot and been sat for around 10 minutes after shut off. Going to try the fuel filter today as I got a high pitched noise from the fuel filter yesterday. Thanks!!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Mine had the same issue...if your not getting codes from check engine light that coressponds to O2 sensors, etc..than its your MAF sensor or intake throttle hose..i take mine out every 6 months and spray it down with MAF sensor cleaner and it works like a charm..as for the intake hose make sure to check for proper sealing and that it doesnt have any cracks in it..good luck

Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
MTS
1st Gear

Would simple carb cleaner be sufficient to clean the injectors? I'm planning to take them out and give em a good cleaning. If not, what should be used?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM

If you need to clean your MAF Sensor use only Mass Air flow Sensor cleaner..don't want to ruin the fragile sensor, those things cost $$$

Quick Reply: A4 Cranks, Hard Time Starting