B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Is an aged Audi always have a lot of problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Is an aged Audi always have a lot of problems?

I am going to be a Audi A4 2004 owner with 133K miles, I posted about the car in another thread.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...repair-184549/

Does this car break down often like everyone else said? It will be expensive to fix.

Should I stay away from this used car? Get something is not high maintenance.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Our 02 has 136k on it now. I would not say it is unreliable by any means but overall that always depends on the previous owner. At some point you will have to decide if the repairs needed are more time and money than the car is worth.

Premium cars end up costing a premium to work on but if you are one who will do the maintenance yourself it really is quite manageable. Taking the time to research and properly diagnose any problems that might arise will really cut down on the repair costs as well. Some people get a CEL and just start throwing parts at the problem. No matter how many parts you throw at a problem you will not solve the issue until you get the RIGHT parts taken care of. It is definitely a car that favors the experienced and patient wrench turner but it is a fairly easy car to own overall. I will buy another Audi when ours os done.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear

if you pay for the maintenance and to fix the dent, i think you'd be better off getting a lower mileage a4 for that kind of change.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ilackav8
if you pay for the maintenance and to fix the dent, i think you'd be better off getting a lower mileage a4 for that kind of change.
This is the KBB price

Excellent: $6,775
Very Good: $6,425
Good: $6,175
Fair: $5,200

The second owner bought it for $9800 Jan 2011 from dealer. I feel like you really can't find good Audi on craigslist. What do you think?

Last edited by lmgwq; 06-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by long arm
Our 02 has 136k on it now. I would not say it is unreliable by any means but overall that always depends on the previous owner. At some point you will have to decide if the repairs needed are more time and money than the car is worth.
Has Audi not realized their cars are unreliable for the past decade? What are they thinking?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
4th Gear

audis are delicate. They require alot of patience and love. If you take care of the car it will last well over 200,000 miles. But if i were u i would make the owner either do the maintenance or lower the price by a 1,000 or more. All that extra work u will have to put into it you could get a better car like ilackav8 said!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

I have 154k on mine. No leaks, no loss of compression. The engine still runs great. I have replaced control arms & coil packs but overall its been very reliable. But I agree with ilackav8 as well. For the same $ you can get an a4 thats in better shape.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

You know what? I bought it! This car is seriously a great drive, sorry, this is love at first sight. Drove on the freeway today, this car is too fast for me. Pictures about the dent to come.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

I'm a little late to the party since you bought the car already, but when negotiating price on a used car, I pull up the edmunds.com true market value.

KBB is always high, probably so that used car dealers can advertise selling them below KBB "book value". Call your insurance company and see what they value the car at and you'll find that it is a lot lower than KBB value.

As far as Audi's being unreliable, any used luxury car that has over 100K and is over 7 years old will require repairs. The good thing is that any trouble spots have already been identified and are easy to prevent. If you don't wait until they fail you can replace those components at your own leisure rather than when the German automotive gods dictate.

If you can wrench on your own cars, a used luxury vehicle is a great bargain. I didn't pay much more for my B5 A4 than if I had purchased a similar year Accord or Camry with similar mileage. Sure, it will require more maintenance because there is more to maintain but the driving experience is certainly much, much better. (and when's the last time you saw an AWD Camry with a 5 speed MT?)

Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lmgwq
You know what? I bought it! This car is seriously a great drive, sorry, this is love at first sight. Drove on the freeway today, this car is too fast for me. Pictures about the dent to come.
Please tell me its a quattro & not fwd. Also post pics when you can. If its a 1.8t bone stock it really shouldn't be very fast.

Quick Reply: Is an aged Audi always have a lot of problems?