B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

B6 A4 Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Default B6 A4 Starting problem

Hey guys

have had my 2001 b6 A4 up on axle stands for a week whilst I was replacing the gearbox mount, and now it won't start. Initially though it was a flat battery, but jumpstarting it doesn't seem to help.

When I try to turn it over the following lights light up, and the handbreak light (I think that's what it is, the exclaimation mark in the brackets??) flashes and there's a high pitched beeping too.

As far as I know the car doesn't have a factory alarm/immobiliser, only the normal factory keyless entry.

Any ideas on why it would now not be starting? Everything was fine before I jacked it up to change this mount.

Also I hope it's not related but when I removed the cross member I didn't put anything under the gearbox to support it, so it has just been hanging their for a few days whilst I sourced the part. I didn't realise it was hanging until I put the cross member back on (yup backyard mechanics don't pay off, should have just paid someone to do it). Could this be related, or have caused any other damage?

Many thanks for any help!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Site Moderator

All B6's have immobilizer, but the car would still start for a second then die. If you were playing with the gearbox you might have forgotten to put the engine RPM sensor back in, or forgot to plug it back in. Do you have a vag com to check the faults. If you let the gearbox hang you would have stretched the RPM sensor's wiring, so hopefully you didn't break it.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Hey Auditech.

Cheers for that.

Don't have a Vag Com to check sorry!

I didn't actually pull anything out when messing with the gearbox, I simply just dropped the cross member so that I could get to the gearbox mount. But this resulted in the Gearbox dropping down because I stupidly overlooked the fact that the Gearbox was supported by the cross member.

Excuse the ignorance but where exactly in the engine bay would I find the RPM sensor to check I haven't snapped the wiring?

Also forgot to add that the car doesn't seem to want to lock from the keyfob, only unlock. Even from in the cabin it wouldn't lock.

So hopefully it is a battery fault, but it didn't want to jump start off a bigger battery last night hence why I'm questioning here...

Thanks for the help, hope I can get to the bottom of it!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Site Moderator

Well the key fob is a completely different issue. The RPM sensor is located on the driver's side of the trans, where the engine meets the trans basically. The connector is next to the coolant expansion tank next to the O2 sensor connectors. Its the black one.