B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Beginner A4 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Beginner A4 mods?

Hey guys, I've had my 2004 A4 for about a year now, but haven't really done much to it in terms of mods, besides tinting the windows...

Anyways I wanted to ask for any advice on mods for someone like me whos pretty good with his hands, but doesn't really have much experience under the hood. Some ideas I had were things like chipping it? boost controller? I'm not really interested in cosmetic mods besides installing red LEDs in the headlights perhaps, just seem like a waste of money if its all aesthetic and no improvement on engine efficiency.

A good friend of mine whos a real car junkie would probably have all the tools and would help me do whatever I want to it, so difficulty of the mod isn't really a HUGE issue either. His A4 (B5 model) was recently totaled while it was parked and he offered to give me his cold-air intake for free, so I might start with that.

Anyways thanks for any advice you guys can give me, till then I'll be looking around the DIY section for ideas.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

I would say go for an APR Stage I flash. Its only like 500 bucks and will give you some seriously noticeable boost. I had it done to my 08 and now my 09 audi A4. adds about 45hp and 50tq off the bat. tons of engine mods you can do for cheap on their site. Heres a link for your specific car APR Product Selection

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

well assuming u have a 1.8 non cvt. u can chip the car for staters. Leave the stock airbox in and get a drop in k&n filter. If u put a cai on it will basically function as a hot air intake. you can also get new injectors and a fmic and that will be stage 1+ i believe. anything above that looking into exaust dp or hfc. New intake hose would help. Also if u plan on chipping the car get a new dv as the stock diaphram will take a crap on you with the additional pressure.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
well assuming u have a 1.8 non cvt. u can chip the car for staters. Leave the stock airbox in and get a drop in k&n filter. If u put a cai on it will basically function as a hot air intake. you can also get new injectors and a fmic and that will be stage 1+ i believe. anything above that looking into exaust dp or hfc. New intake hose would help. Also if u plan on chipping the car get a new dv as the stock diaphram will take a crap on you with the additional pressure.
lol he said beginner, very good upgrades though.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
4th Gear

those are begginer mods.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 AM
1st Gear

thanks a lot I guess I'll start with looking into getting it chipped and a new diverter valve to go with it. I'll ask my boy to see if he knows anyone who help me out getting it chipped. You really don't think I should put the cold air intake, even if he's offering it for free? lol

Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aeronutz
thanks a lot I guess I'll start with looking into getting it chipped and a new diverter valve to go with it. I'll ask my boy to see if he knows anyone who help me out getting it chipped. You really don't think I should put the cold air intake, even if he's offering it for free? lol
I have the Carbonio, I like it personally. It does make a difference in engine performance although most people do the flash first so its very difficult to notice the minor performance change from the intake when theres a major performance change from the flash. i have both flash and intake and I shut my flash off and can feel a slight upgrade in performance and a very solid upgrade in engine sound and turbo whistle. If you have money to throw around I say get the intake. although most people are right in suggesting to get a downpipe w high flow cat system first. with that you can upgrade your flash for free to stage II

Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

I might be buying an 04 A4 1.8t Quattro in a week or two. I also was wondering what are some cheap and easy mods I can do, to see some of the best power increases for the money spent. I have been interested in this sort of stuff for a while, but I have never had a car before that it would have been worth it.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

I have an 03 audi a4 quattro 1.8t and have gotten the APR Stage 1 flash and I've installed the Carbonia CAI myself. Both are definitely worth it. The additional power from the flash is fairly substantial and the CIA has minor improvements, but many of them. CIA makes the car sound throatier and you can hear the turbo whistle as well as the discharge of air from the DV every time you shift. It helps with performance slightly (increase hp and tq, as well as better throttle response). It's much lighter than the stock intake and improves fuel efficiency. And don't let me forget to mention that it looks badass under the hood with it's sleek carbon fiber cover.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

About how much of an improvement will the intake give me? I know the flash will do a lot. But I am not sure how much money it would be worth it to throw at the car if it already has 68k miles on it like the one I will be getting does.

Quick Reply: Beginner A4 mods?