B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Clutch Install Problems... please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch Install Problems... please help

this weekend a friend and I put a new clutch in my A4. I have had my car for nearly 4 years now andwas completely stock. I bought a Spec Stage 1 clutch and an aluminum flywheel.

We were able to do the install fine until we tried to drive the car. When the car is off you can shift through the gears fine. But when we turn the car on, we can’t shift into gear (its like trying to jam the car in gear with out engaging the clutch).

We tried bleeding the clutch, but it didn’t make a difference, any thoughts?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Clutch Install Problems... please help

Obviously the clutch isn't disengaging. Hows the clutch pedal - does it feel normal?

Best advise, although a pain in the ***, is to start dissambeling and look for what went wrong. Maybe have your friend engage and disengage the clutch while you watch from underneath and see if the clutch fork is moving. Stupid question, but did you have any spare parts?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

there were no extra parts

Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Site Moderator

Was the clutch designed to use a single mass flywheel? Most clutches aren't compatible with aluminum flywheels, unless its a dual plate or performance puck style clutch.
Im guessing the flywheel didn't come with the clutch in a kit did it?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Site Moderator

Another thing you might wanna try is checking the slave cylinder for any leaking fluid.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

i'm assuming the clutch was designed for a single mass flywheel, since it was an option from the website that i got it from (ngpracing.com)

Old 06-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Site Moderator

Replace the slave cylinder then.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear

not that i have to agree with a tech or anything since his knowledge is much mo vast than minebut thats where i would start too... is the slave installed correctly? a guy on audizine had a similar problem, he moved the piston on the slave and couldnt get it back to reinstall it..

Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

So we were messing with the slave cylinder and it ended up blowing up. So it took us a few days to get a new one cause there were 4 different slave cylinders used in 2005, but when we put the new one in, bled it, and first time we depressed the clutch the same thing happened.

has anyone had this problem before?

we think that maybe Spec sent us the wrong clutch.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Site Moderator

If the slave cylinder is blowing up, something is blocking theforks travel. Most likely the tranny has to come back out, i think something may be blocking the clutch fork/throwout bearing from depressing the clutch. If the fork can't move, it puts extra pressure on the slave cylinder and it will blow the seals. One of the techs did that on an A4 before and blew up 3 slave cylinders before he found out there was debris in the way of the fork. My advice would be is to take it to a shop.

Quick Reply: Clutch Install Problems... please help